10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 8:11 AM by rob day

RGB Color Space View

edm78989547

I've been using InDesign since the beginning and always could access a CMYK color picker by double clicking either the stroke or fill icons in the toolbar. All of a sudden today I get the "RGB Color Space View."  I'm designing for print, not online--how did this change occur and how do I restore it? THANKS

• 1. Re: RGB Color Space View
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The color picker samples always RGB values.

In InDesign you can have different color spaces with RGB, Lab and CMYK, even for print. That is not a contradiction. If you place images you have to use RGB images anyway, even for print.

The only decision you have to do is to choose the correct Transparency Blending Space for output, either RGB or CMYK and to choose the correct profile for any content and for any output.

• 2. Re: RGB Color Space View
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can define the colors as CMYK by using the CMYK fields in the color picker (but you will still be viewing RGB equivalent),  or use the CMYK sliders in the Color Panel.

• 3. Re: RGB Color Space View
              edm78989547 Level 1

This may be true but the missed point is I have never seen the RGB Color Space View before yesterday.  I expected this:

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 4.29.14 PM.png

But instead now I see this:Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 4.37.00 PM.png

• 4. Re: RGB Color Space View

I think you are mis-remembering. The InDesign color picker has carried that RGB Color Space View label since at least CS3 (the earliest version I have installed on this machine. Perhaps you just never noticed before, that label is pretty easy to ignore.

• 5. Re: RGB Color Space View
                  jane-e Adobe Community Professional

I usually use the Color Picker in Illustrator and Photoshop more than in InDesign, so I went back and looked at 2014 and 2013. It's the same in both of those releases as in your second screen shot, even for a Print document (which surprised me.)

Where did you take the first screen shot?

• 6. Re: RGB Color Space View

Peter is correct. I just looked at the Illustrator color picker. I think we get so used to seeing things in one program that we sometimes mix up small details.

This is Illustrator:

This is Photoshop:

• 7. Re: RGB Color Space View

As I recall, I never noticed it until about two years ago when I happened to read a post here on the forums from Rob Day who specifically mentioned that it was an RGB view in ID.

Personally, I've avoided the Color Picker due to problems in the past with spot colors getting accidentally redefined.

• 8. Re: RGB Color Space View

That would be an excellent reason. Peter Spier—good to know!

• 9. Re: RGB Color Space View
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

always could access a CMYK color picker

Photoshop and AI have an HSB representation of the color field and it's the Hue view everyone wishes was in ID. Clicking the R, G, B, L, a, or b radio buttons changes the color field view, and the position of your cursor determines the color or swatch you will get—if your cursor is in one of the C, M, Y, or K fields you'll get the chosen CMYK values (which can also be entered manually if you don't want a color managed conversion).

The wish for the more intuitive H view comes up all the time, and I have to think there is a color management challenge with ID that stops Adobe from adding it, because it has been requested for years.

See #11 here:

Re: HSB color picker

• 10. Re: RGB Color Space View
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, you might look at the L view, which is a cousin to a Hue view. You change saturation by moving from the center to the outside edge of the picker, hue by rotating around the center, and brightness via the right slider. So 50|0|0 Lab is dead center and perfectly neutral:

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 9.00.33 AM.png

If I move my cursor into one of the CMYK fields, I'll get the option to add the CMYK conversion as the swatch—Add Lab Swatch changes to Add CMYK Swatch:

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 9.23.34 AM.png