3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 3:49 AM by D Fosse

Color management problems when exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements

lindab28707708

Hi ...Can anyone help with color management problems I am having when I export an edited RAW file from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements 10?When I edit a raw file in Lightroom the colors look fine ,then I export the file to Photoshop Elements 10 , do a little more editing in Photoshop .When I am finished editing in PSE10 the colors look fine but when I save the files to my pictures folder the blue skies look purple and all the colors look flat.(The thumbnails of the saved pictures look fine but as soon as I open the picture to view them the color shift is very apparent). I have tried calibrating my monitor but that doesn't work .If I edit the photo in Lightroom  only ,the color shift doesn't happen and if I edit the photo in Photoshop only, the color shift doesn't happen. It only occurs if I export from Lightroom to Photoshop so I am assuming something is not set right and there is a problem with how Lightroom is communicating with Elements. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• 1. Re: Color management problems when exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is all perfectly normal and expected when you work in ProPhoto RGB, and view the file in an application without color management.

This has nothing to do with Lightroom or PE, which work as they should - it's because you are viewing the file in an outside application that doesn't have any color management.

Without color management, files need to be sRGB to display (roughly) right. Set "External Editing" preferences in Lightroom to sRGB (not ProPhoto) - or convert to sRGB in Elements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color management problems when exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements
            lindab28707708 Level 1

Thanks for your very helpful answer.Should the Lightroom settings be set to ProPhotoRGB during the editing process in LR and then switched to sRGB at the time of transferring the file to Photoshop or should it be consistently set to sRGB while editing in LR?

• 3. Re: Color management problems when exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop Elements
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's not how it works - Lightroom has its own internal working color space and you can't change that (nor is there any reason to).

This is about how Lightroom exports the rendered file to an outside application, and whether that application has color management or not. Photoshop Elements does, so it will handle everything correctly no matter what color space you export in (or "Edit In..." which is basically an export).

You set this separately for Edit In (under Preferences), and for Export (in the Export dialog):

export.png

Now - the complications start when the file is viewed in an application without color management (such as Windows Photos and some other file viewers and web browsers). These applications don't read the ProPhoto profile.

Without color management, the file has to be in the sRGB color space to display correctly. Whether you do that in Lightroom or Photoshop Elements isn't important, but it must be done before opening into an outside, not color managed application.

I suggest you just set Lightroom External Editing to sRGB to avoid any problems until you know more about how this works.