4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 9:43 AM by Dave LaRonde

Using png graphics in interlaced video

borislavl

Hi guys!

I've looking for a advice but I didn't find the answer. Anyone can help me?

I want to use in AE .png file for animation. My project is for television which broadcast in 1920x1080i (interlaced).

Should I export the .png file from PS interlaced or progressive in order to use it in interlaced video - 1080i?

If I export the .png file as progressive, should I interpret it in AE as interlaced or keep it as it is?

Any help or ideas will be appreciated

Best regards!

• 1. Re: Using png graphics in interlaced video
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Is this a quicktime movie in the PNG codec?  Make sure the field order interpretation is right if it's interlaced.

Is this a still image?  No problems!  Just use it!

Oh, there is this issue of the latest versions of AE not playing nicely with PNG files.  You might want to think about changing it to something else.

• 2. Re: Using png graphics in interlaced video
            borislavl Level 1

Thank you, Mr. LaRonde!

It's a graphic file .png and I'd like to animate it. Just a picture. The final video will be rendered in Full HD 1920x1080i (interlaced).

Should I export the .png file from Photoshop interlaced to be like the output video or keep it progressive in my AE project?

I'm using AE version 13.8.1.38

• 3. Re: Using png graphics in interlaced video
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

you work progressive all the way in Ae. if you are importing interlaced video then make sure in the interpret footage it's deinterlaced. only in the end export interlaced in the render setting with respect to the exact specs that were given to you but here is another word of advice from my experience: you are rendering a format that is intended for broadcast so you are not the last station in the workflow pipeline. You are also probably not the first Ae artist that works for this broadcaster so if you should ask for workflow advice and especially the exact output settings from colleagues that have done this before or the person that's going to receive it. You never know what setup they are comfortable using this could save problems later.

• 4. Re: Using png graphics in interlaced video
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

borislavl wrote:

It's a graphic file .png and I'd like to animate it. Just a picture. The final video will be rendered in Full HD 1920x1080i (interlaced).

Should I export the .png file from Photoshop interlaced to be like the output video or keep it progressive in my AE project?

I'm using AE version 13.8.1.38

Still Images have no interlacing.  You don't have to worry about interlacing.  You MAY have to worry if it's PNG.  Just import the PNG file as-is into AE, no Photoshop necessary.  If it imports, you're all set! There is no other preparation you need to do.