2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 11:02 PM by Willi Adelberger

Filling multiple individual cells with colour in a table

laurencsp

Hi everyone,

I have an oddly specific question and I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me with a shortcut because I suspect I'm doing things inefficiently.

My work requires me to make tables similar to this but in a much larger scale:

example.PNG

I find that individually filling each box with a certain colour takes quite a long time as there's no easy way to select multiple boxes unless the boxes are beside or below.

I'm wondering if there's a quicker way to individually select multiple cells that are assorted within the cell so that I can fill them in.  So far I've just been sticking my swatches window next to my table and trying to group-select as many cells as I can and fill them and then pick up any individual ones after that.

Is there a faster way or is this the only way to do it?

I hope I've explained myself clearly, thanks all!

• 1. Re: Filling multiple individual cells with colour in a table
          flaming1 Level 2

It is certainly possible with a script, but it depends on what data you have in your table to start with.

There was a script posted at Indesign Secrets a while back http://indesignsecrets.com/topic/findchange-paragraph-style-to-cell-style

This script looks for cells containing content with a certain paragraph style. It then applies a cell style to the found cells.

I found that you could apply the style across all your cells then run the script and it only picks up the ones with content in them. Empty cells are left alone.

I used it by pasting in my table data from an Excel file supplied by the client. Running the script coloured only the cells that had content. If you want to just have coloured cells you could make the text in the paragraph style the same colour as the cell fill colour, or if you want you could set the text colour to none.

It works brilliantly!

• 2. Re: Filling multiple individual cells with colour in a table
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should not never manually format tables and cells. You should always use Table and Cell Styles and for the colored cells use specific Cell Styles. This would be the only way to change the formatting at a later point in time with a single click.

1 person found this helpful