6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 1:53 AM by CromCrom

Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?

CromCrom Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trialling a mobile workflow which looks like:

camera > ipad > 5 day wait to sync > adobe cloud  > desktop

Out of 500 or so images I have an image that has corrupted (banding etc, usual stuff) somewhere in the transition between camera > ipad. It looks corrupt on the ipad and the same on desktop.

Both the actual file (and a backup sync version of the file that I did with photosync - much faster sync by the way!) are both fine, showing no corruption. So, what is the best way to replace the image in LR with the one in the file.

I have tried to discard both types of preview from the librarby menu - this did nothing to re-generate the image in the library.

Is my best course of action to remove the image from LR library and re-import the image or is there a clever way to trigger the library to do this in one step?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
          dj_paige Level 9

Both the actual file (and a backup sync version of the file that I did with photosync - much faster sync by the way!) are both fine, showing no corruption. So, what is the best way to replace the image in LR with the one in the file.

Using your operating system, copy the uncorrupted file to the folder where the corrupted file is. It should overwrite the corrupted file. Done.

• 2. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
            CromCrom Level 1

Thanks for replying, however, the files are not the problem.

"Both the actual file (and a backup sync version of the file that I did with photosync - much faster sync by the way!) are both fine, showing no corruption."

By this I mean that if I go to the folder that lightroom is referencing, the file in there is fine - no corruption. However, in lightroom, when I view the image in the library, the image is corrupted. So what I need to achieve is to somehow tell lightroom to 'refresh' its view of that particular file....or regenerate the previews.

Hope that makes more sense.

• 3. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In what program are you looking at them that shows no corruption?

• 4. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
                dj_paige Level 9

CromCrom wrote:

Thanks for replying, however, the files are not the problem.

"Both the actual file (and a backup sync version of the file that I did with photosync - much faster sync by the way!) are both fine, showing no corruption."

By this I mean that if I go to the folder that lightroom is referencing, the file in there is fine - no corruption. However, in lightroom, when I view the image in the library, the image is corrupted. So what I need to achieve is to somehow tell lightroom to 'refresh' its view of that particular file....or regenerate the previews.

Hope that makes more sense.

No, that doesn't make sense at all. If the file is showing as corrupted in LR, then it is corrupted. It doesn't matter if you see it showing no corruption when you look at it outside of LR, because many (most?) software will show you the JPG preview which is embedded in the RAW file, and often the preview is uncorrupted when the full RAW image is corrupted. So you have to eliminate the corruption by finding a version of the photo that is uncorrupted (if such a version exists) and then use the instructions I gave.

• 5. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
                  CromCrom Level 1

OSX Preview in the cover strip mode. Interesting point to raise though. Opening either version of the file in photoshop shows it as corrupt!!

Let me try @dj_paige's suggestion of over-writing file...one sec.

• 6. Re: Image corrupted in LR but file is OK. How to replace image in LR library?
                    CromCrom Level 1

Apologies for delay - finally got back to trying to sort this out.

Thank you to @just_shoot_me for making me think to try and view the file in other apps.

Spot on explanation by @dj_paige - you were absolutely correct in your first response and your second response gave me the full context - thank you!

Incidentally...the file was corrupt in the camera although I have managed to keep the JPG as you surmised might be possible.