5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 10:06 AM by Bob Somrak

CR2 - DNG or retain raw

Archibald the Grim

Looking through my catalogue I see CR2 files and DNG files.  The CR2 are older images.

Thinking that I should convert them to DNG I google (is that a verb nowadays?) and I see a number of sites which

suggest that converting to DNG is not such a great idea citing some loss of integrity from the original raw image.

Im a keen amateur and would be very lucky ever to sell an image unless I was very lucky so with that in mind, is there any reason not to convert my original .cr2 images into DNG.

Do the CR2 images I have adjusted get converted retaining the adjustments?

If they do, I suppose I could duplicate the adjusted image and reset 1 one them to the original and then convert that to DNG. I don't have that many that are worth the effort.

• 1. Re: CR2 - DNG or retain raw
          dj_paige Level 9

You can make the argument both ways. Some people convert, some do not. There are advantages and disadvantages. It is extra work for you at this time. If you want to read more about the advantages and disadvantages, you can use that Google thing you talked about.

Why are you doing this anyway? Why are you contemplating performing the work to convert? What is the perceived benefit in your mind?

I see a number of sites which suggest that converting to DNG is not such a great idea citing some loss of integrity from the original raw image.

I am not aware of this "loss of integrity". As far as I know, this is not true. Could you please provide a link? The loss-less DNG conversion does not change a single pixel. There is no loss of integrity, whatever that means. If you choose the lossy DNG conversion, then there will be some minor changes to the image, hopefully so small that it will be difficult to notice. If you convert to DNG, you will lose some of the metadata in the RAW file provided by the camera, and this means that in the future, you could not use Canon software to make use of that metadata.

• 2. Re: CR2 - DNG or retain raw
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see a number of sites which suggest that converting to DNG is not such a great idea citing some loss of integrity from the original raw image.

Can you post a few links so we can enrich the discussion here?

• 3. Re: CR2 - DNG or retain raw
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

The article at the link below will provide lots of info so you can decide if you wish to convert or not.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CR2 - DNG or retain raw
                Archibald the Grim Level 1

Hi John

Reading one of the articles again i see that it was probably a sales pitch for another system - Capture One so ignore my comment

thanks for your interest though

• 5. Re: CR2 - DNG or retain raw
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

Don't convert to DNG unless you have a compelling reason.   You can always convert in the future to DNG but if you convert to DNG now you can't convert back to RAW later.  I see no benefit in DNG.