3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 4:07 AM by dj_paige

Dates are wrong in folder structure

haydens50436230

So I know what I did wrong...but need help undoing it.  I imported using the date folder structure...but apparently for one of the imports, I recreated the folder structure under the 2016/1-28 folder.  So now under 2016/1-28, I've got 2015/1-1, 2015/1-2 etc.

I tried just moving in bulk to the right year within lightroom, but since the dates already exist, I get error messages.

Any way to un-do this?  beginning to think the "fancy" complexity of the lightroom catalog is more trouble than it is worth.

• 1. Re: Dates are wrong in folder structure
          dj_paige Level 9

You could try dragging and dropping the photos to the desired folder. There are even other ways to do this if that doesn't work.

Or you could take advantage of the "fancy complexity" of Lightroom instead of using the old fashioned tools of folders. Lightroom's filter bar let's you find photos by capture dates, so you can find the photos even if your folders are not set up the way you want; and if you use keywords and other metadata as your organizing tool, then it really doesn't matter what folder things are in, you can find anything using keywords and other metadata.

• 2. Re: Dates are wrong in folder structure
            haydens50436230 Level 1

So drag one date at a time I guess is the approach.

I guess I could delete them and re-add.  But there's a bunch of complexity with that.  Would have to do sidecar files and the like to keep settings I've already done in lightroom.  Guess at the end of the day, I wish someone like me who primarily uses lightroom as a repository didn't need a computer science degree.

I don't disagree with what you say about using the metadata.  But clearly, Adobe (or at least the users) still feels that there is value in organizing by folder (and allowing the user to chose some of these things), otherwise, they wouldn't make it an option.

Then again, I'm one of those people that wanted facial recognition (and still wishes it was as good as picasa).  So clearly I'm amateur hour. 

Appreciate your help!

• 3. Re: Dates are wrong in folder structure
              dj_paige Level 9

haydens50436230 wrote:

So drag one date at a time I guess is the approach.

Select all the photos in a folder and drag once. By the way, I should add (I didn't say this before, and it's an important point) that this drag and drop is done entirely in Lightroom.

I don't disagree with what you say about using the metadata.  But clearly, Adobe (or at least the users) still feels that there is value in organizing by folder (and allowing the user to chose some of these things), otherwise, they wouldn't make it an option.

And if you organize by folders, you have zero extra features in Lightroom than you do if you organize by folders in your operating system. In fact, you have fewer features using Lightroom to organize by folders than you do if you organized by folders using your operating system. It is, in my opinion, a prehistoric method, with many disadvantages compared to using keywords and metadata. But certainly, if you want to organize by folders, you definitely can do so.