3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 4:26 PM by Bill Gehrke

Need assistance please to ensure correct graphics card option before purchasing

Laura1979

Hi All,

I am currently using a HP laptop to edit with Premiere Pro, but the graphics card/ram is not up to scratch -

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor Intel® HD Graphics 520, 2.3 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores

- as it keeps crashing....This computer has other features I can't seem to find in a replacement equivalent (mainly touchscreen, light, battery life)

Looking to invest in a new laptop but needs to be as small and portable as possible, and reasonable battery life (not when editing but for general use) but with good enough specs.  Currently considering:

HP Pavilion 14-AL054TX

i7-6500U 2.5 Ghz

16 GB ram

4 GB GTX940M

SSD

I would love any input please as to if this will be sufficient!

Thanks so much in advance,

Laura

• 1. Re: Need assistance please to ensure correct graphics card option before purchasing
          RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the deal:

You really need a true quad-core CPU if you want a laptop that can feasibly run professional-grade video editing software. Unfortunately, that i7-6500U has only two physical cores - just like that i5 laptop that kept crashing on you. Too bad there is currently no easily available small and light laptop that has a true quad-core i7 CPU (most small and light laptops with quad-core CPUs actually use really lousy Pentium CPUs that are derived from the Atom CPU line that actually perform significantly slower than a dual-core i3 CPU).

And why an HP Pavilion? You see, if you have problems with your current HP Pavilion, you will likely experience very similar problems with any of the new HP Pavilion laptops regardless of the CPU (of the Skylake generation) and GPU used.

• 2. Re: Need assistance please to ensure correct graphics card option before purchasing
            Laura1979 Level 1

Thanks for your response, the only reason I was going the HP again was that it was the only one I could find that was small and light and had reasonable battery life but that had more RAM and the dedicated graphics card which I thought was the big improvement from my current model hence why I was looking at that.....

The other ones I have seen which have the quad core etc are more gaming style PC's so they are super bulky and not a great option for the rest of my work.  Hmmmm.  Also assessing a standalone iMac and keep my PC for other work.

• 3. Re: Need assistance please to ensure correct graphics card option before purchasing
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at this one

Edited:

14", 3.75 pounds, fantastic new GTX1060 6GB GPU, Quad core with hyperthreading i7-6700HQ 3.5 GHz Max Turbo speed. 16 GB RAM upgradeable to 32 GB,

Sorry no touch screen

I hope you realize that any laptop you must have it on external power for it to do any real editing.  On internal battery power they slow everything down to save battery power.