2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 9:54 AM by mariag24232763

Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 crashing on Mac when editing

mariag24232763

Hello

I am using the adobe acrobat pro version 8 on my Macbook pro. I think acrobat pro 8 is an old version but  it's been running quite ok for a long time.
      Only recently and probably after upgrading to El Capitan, Acrobat started to crash everytime I try to edit preferences on my docs, such as changing the comments properties.What should I do? should I upgrade to the most recent version? Which one? Should I run permissions repair? should I uninstall the application?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 crashing on Mac when editing
          Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

Acrobat 8 ( as well as 9, and X) are not compatible with El Capitan. There is nothing you can do about that. To what extend it will not work correctly is not known, because nobody officially tested it on that version of the operating system. You can try to do a permissions repair, but this will still not make Acrobat 8 work correctly.

You have three different options:

1) Upgrade Acrobat to the latest version

2) Downgrade your operating system to something that Acrobat 8 was actually supported on during it's official lifetime

3) Install a supported operating system in a virtual machine and then run that on top of El Capitan. That's what I do for older versions of Acrobat.

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 crashing on Mac when editing
            mariag24232763 Level 1

I suspected it would be a compatibility issue. Still it does work, if I stick to the general editing and commenting options... but I am afraid it will crash for good one of these days. I will just change to a newer version. Thank you!