4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 8:44 AM by KrisHunt

Why is Safari asking me to allow Adobe Flash Player for unexpected sites (e.g., MacRumors, PayPal)?

damianm81962370

Lately, I've been receiving the prompt, "Do you want to trust the website '[URL of website]' to use the 'Adobe Flash Player' plug-in" prompt from Safari for sites that don't appear to require it (e.g., MacRumors, PayPal).

Whether I click "trust" or "not now" seems to make no difference in the functionality of the site.

Can anyone explain what's going on, here?

Is this a bug in Safari or Flash?

Or is my computer likely infected with some sort of malware or virus? (I ran Malwarebytes; it didn't find anything. I'm running Norton Antivirus now; unless I post otherwise, you can assume it didn't find anything, either.)

Or do sites like MacRumors and PayPal have legitimate uses for Adobe Flash Player?

Note that I am using the latest versions of Safari (10.0), macOS (10.12), and Adobe Flash Player (23.0.0.185, as verified and updated in the System Preferences Flash Player pane).

See below for screenshots. Unfortunately, I don't recall what other sites have been giving me this prompt, offhand, but they include sites as reputable as MacRumors and PayPal.

Screenshot 2016-10-13 10.59.12.png

Screenshot 2016-10-13 11.12.32.png