4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 10:36 AM by JimHess

Lightroom error message, requires camera raw plugin 9.7

bryant99176189

I am not using Creative Cloud.  I have purchased and own Lightroom 6.6.1 and Photoshop CS6 version 13.0.1.  I am running these on Windows 10.

Everything has been working just fine until recently when I received an error message telling me my Lightroom adjustments could not be sent to Photoshop for further adjustments.  I can still open the image in Photoshop but any Lightroom adjustments to the DNG files will be lost.  The message says I needed to upgrade the Camera Raw Plugin.  I am currently using Camera Raw Plugin 9.1.1 and the message said I need the latest version 9.7.

So, I downloaded and installed Camera Raw Plugin 9.7 but I am still unable to move edited images from Lightroom to Photoshop.  The error message is still there.

I do not know why this is happening.  Perhaps Camera Raw 9.7 is not compatible with my LR or PS versions?  I do not wish to move the cloud.  I own this software.  It's not outdated at all in my opinion and it has been working just fine.  I just want my stuff to work the way it always has.  I think another option may be to uninstall any upgrades to LR or PS that would have disabled the previous fully functional version 9.1.1 of Camera Raw.

While I understand Adobe's desire to force everyone to the cloud I'm disappointed that this is my only recourse for support of this issue.  Regardless, any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lightroom error message, requires camera raw plugin 9.7
          dj_paige Level 9

Camera RAW 9.7 will not work with Photoshop CS6

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

So, you cannot send RAW images from Lightroom to Photoshop CS6. However, if the images are DNG, then it shouldn't matter that you have Camera RAW 9.1.1. Are the images really DNG? Or are they RAW images?

In any event, you should be able to send TIF files from Lightroom to CS6, this should work with your existing versions of the software.

• 2. Re: Lightroom error message, requires camera raw plugin 9.7
            bryant99176189 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  So my question is then, why did my stuff just stop working one day?  I assume this is because I upgraded either LR or PS though the help menu for updates.  I am uploading RAW images which I have LR set to convert to DNG files.  I work on them and save them or "edit in" Photoshop for further adjustments.  Up until recently my image has moved into Photoshop with all of the LR adjustments in tact.  Now that is not the case.  So, If Camera Raw 9.7 doesn't fix my problem how can I simply revert the system to how it was before....all working just fine?  I don't want to have to convert a file in LR and then export to PS.  This seems cumbersome at best and the process I've been using up until now is very streamlined. 

• 3. Re: Lightroom error message, requires camera raw plugin 9.7
              bryant99176189 Level 1

Just one last follow up.  The forum in this case turned out to be of no help.  One of the Adobe Techs (I'm guessing) gave me a very half-_ss answer to my question and then simply left it alone.  Nobody here even came close to addressing the issue.  Not cool.

Fortunately, I was able to correct the problem by uninstalling LR and then reinstalling the original version with the disk.  Everything works just fine now.  Apparently somewhere along the way one of the Adobe LR updates actually took away any use of adobe camera raw.  Not cool on either count.

• 4. Re: Lightroom error message, requires camera raw plugin 9.7
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Getting effective help from a user forum is completely dependent on how much collateral information is provided. You didn't indicate what version of Lightroom or Photoshop you upgraded from. It would seem that if you weren't getting the message previously it was because the version of camera raw that you had installed was fully compatible with Lightroom. Once you upgraded Lightroom, it was looking for a newer version of camera raw. Photoshop CS6 can only use up to camera raw 9.1.1. Any subsequent versions are not ever going to be compatible with Photoshop CS6.

Since you are working with a non-current version of Photoshop, you will have to choose the option to allow Lightroom to create a copy that includes Lightroom adjustments. Then that copy is what Lightroom will send to Photoshop. You will then be able to complete your editing using Photoshop and send the copy back to Lightroom complete with Photoshop adjustments. The only difference in your workflow now is the point at which the copy is created. When Lightroom and Photoshop were in sync the copy was not created until the end of your Photoshop session. Now the copy has to be created before you start working with Photoshop. You don't really lose any Photoshop capabilities because once the image has been opened in Photoshop it has already been converted to a RGB pixel image.

1 person found this helpful