6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 9:11 PM by tylerb3217

Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc

tylerb3217

Hello Everyone,

First off I am not a 'computer guy' in terms of specs so I am sorry if I get confused, sound confusing, or have left anything important out. I have been messing around trying to get my computer to work good enough to edit in premiere pro cc (with some effects: color correct/grade, sharpen, simple titles) - Nothing to difficult. Also a few effects in Adobe After Effects. But whatever I do I can not get my computer to run decently smooth! In premiere pro it'll get so slow the program will crash frequently with 1080p timeline no longer than 6-7 min w/ colorgrade. I can not play the timeline back smoothly at all - somtimes 1/4 compression will playback with minimal effects like simple color correction. I would like to be able to at least watch my footage in premiere in real time at at least 1/4 compression - 1/2 preferred - obviously full if possible. Also Rendering seems very slow - a 5:30 video with simple effects (color grade, sharpening) takes almost 5 hours at 1080p?? This all is with xavc-s 1080p footage. I started shooting 4k and would like to edit in 4k so I know I need to upgrade or get something entirely new.

Things I have done:

1) Enabled the Mercury Playback Engine in premiere pro to run off my GPU instead of software.

2) Upgraded to SSD (256gb samsung 850 pro).

3) 2ea 7200rpm HDD and 1ea SSD - an HDD with Files -an HDD with exports and cache files - an SSD with OS (windows 10 pro) and programs. I am not running any sort of raid (I have researched it a bit but not comfortable enough with my knowledge of it yet)

4) Have run different types of virus scans - no viruses

5) Unistalled/Reinstalled Premiere and After Effects

6) Tried converting my footage to proxies (works better until effects are added)

7) In premiere pro I have dedicated 18gb ram to the program and 6 to everything else.

8) I have nothing else in the background while I edit.

9) I have optimized rendering for performance.

My Computer Specs:

-Custom Built Desktop (late 2014) PC with windows 10 pro 64bit operating system

-Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.4GHz - 4 Cores - can overclock to 3.8GHz

-24GB Ram - Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

- MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N760 TF 2GD5/OC

- Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards

- EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B 80PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V/EPS12V 750W Power Supply 120-PB-0750-KR

- 2 HDD (2Tb ea) Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001 (1 used for media files, 1 used for exports,cache)

- 1 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256gb (used for OS and programs)

I hope I have given enough information and truly appreciate any advice/help!

Should I upgrade to i7/ better graphics card? more ram? More storage (ssd/hdd)? Is the xavcs-s codec the problem? or is there something else I can do? Or a complete rebuild? Just seems like it should not run this bad, it is really hard to get anything done! THANKS!

[moved to hardware forum by mod]

• 1. Re: Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc
          RjL190365 Level 4

Unfortunately, your PC does not quite have enough CPU horsepower to edit 1080p XAVC material. Even if you had 16 or 32 GB of RAM, all 1080p video material regardless of the codec is just too demanding for an older Ivy Bridge CPU that has only four cores and four threads and very limited (if any) overclockability.

As for what you should be using, I'd advise a complete replacement of the CPU, motherboard and RAM. I'd also get a new GPU as well while you're doing all this. A Skylake i5-6600K CPU on a Z170 motherboard with 16GB or more DDR4-2666 or higher-speed RAM (or better, an i7-6700K on a Z170 motherboard or a Socket LGA 2011-3 CPU on an X99 motherboard and 32GB or more DDR4-2666 or faster RAM) is strongly recommended for this video codec. And I'd recommend an upgrade to a GTX 1060 while you're at it (the 3GB version is OK, but the 6GB version is better).

I do not recommend upgrading just the CPU and RAM on that old Z77 system since an upgraded i7-3770K CPU would cost you more money than is justified by the tangible (real-world) performance gains. The money that you would have spent on such an upgrade would have been better put towards the more complete platform overhaul that I described in the last paragraph.

Randall

• 2. Re: Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc
            tylerb3217 Level 1

Okay, thanks for the quick reply Randall!

Another question or two if your willing - 1) Should I get more storage(SSD/HDD) as well and set up a raid system?

2) If yes, how would i go about doing that? Where should I store files, media cache, exports, etc to provide less strain on my system?

Since I am upgrading, i would prefer to edit in a 4k timeline without a huge headache.

Thanks a bunch!

• 3. Re: Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to agree with Randall

The only good thing that is salvageable would be the Samsung 850 PRO

I am editing XAVC-S 4K 100 Mbit/sec media from my FDR-AX100 camera from this very laptop (as long as you use AC power).  I am using CS6 and/or Premiere 10.4 (CC2015.3).  It is an i7-4700HQ quad-core with Hyperthreading and 24 GB of RAM and a GTX 765M CUDA card. 

So Randall's suggestions sound very good.  If you do go with a Z170 motherboard try to get one with a true M.2 x4 (32 Mbits/second) socket.  These new M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD's like the Samsung 950 Pro are super SSD's and would be great for your project files and a or your Samsung 850 Pro for the OS/Applications is an ideal setup then you can have hard drives for backup and archiving.

Forget about RAID unless you want expensive high reliability archiving/backup.

• 4. Re: Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i would like to point out that your i5 cpu is only slightly slower than bill's laptop i7 cpu (yes its newer but its a laptop cpu), and yet he can edit 4k on his laptop while you have problems with HD.

tylerb3217 wrote:
                a 5:30 video with simple effects (color grade, sharpening) takes almost 5 hours at 1080p??

with that export time and your description of poor playback performance, i would suspect something is wrong with the computer. or perhaps you are trying to use some very resource intensive plugin like neat video... either way if you are looking to handle 4k timelines/media, i would suggest a new computer to handle 4k. a 6 core cpu will better handle 4k vs a newer 4 core with hyper-threading. if you are on a tight budget a new i7 4 core with hyper-threading will increase performance, but mostly just from hyper-threading as performance gains over each cpu generation are small.

• 5. Re: Sell My Computer or Upgrade? - Slow computer especially with premiere pro cc
                  suomynon@ Level 1

Same need a good windows laptop build specs with cc used to mac.. need for intern