1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 6:09 AM by Roei Tzoref

how to track in 3d

Buttabrain Level 1

hi, so ive been watching some tutorials but cant seem to do it right

after right clicking on the composition and hitting "track camera" i got it to work and i have the 3d points, however it seems i do not have the 3d tripoints that u get with the red circle(maybe im doing something wrong here)...i go right click on 1 of the points and create a null object...i then try to parent a layer to that null object(just like when using the 2d motion tracker).....but it doesnt work

what am i doing wrong

• 1. Re: how to track in 3d
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

hi, so ive been watching some tutorials but cant seem to do it right

where are those tutorials from? have you watched some of adobe's? the full workflow is in these files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/atv/cs6-tutorials/3d-camera-tracker.html

Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects

Tracking 3D Camera Movement in After Effects

however it seems i do not have the 3d tripoints that u get with the red circle(maybe im doing something wrong here).

right after you track ,if you keep the effect selected for the layer and you got layer controls "On" (view->layer controls), you are getting track points that are represented by color X's. you can then drag select or Ctrl select at least 3 points and you will get a target that will signify their triangular location and will be the anchor point of the element that you add. when you right click a target you can choose to create a null / solid / text / shadow catcher setup.

• if you created a solid / text / shadow catcher setup - you are good to go
          • if you created a null in order to attach another layer in that place, then you need to copy the position and orientation of the null to the layer. you see, unlike 2d point tracker, here you have 3d position in Z space and also orientation in 3D space. so in order to attach your layer to that 3d null in 3d space you need for the layer to be 3D and to be in the exact same place. the easiest to do this is after you make the layer 3D, shift parent the layer to the null. (then you can deselect the parent) because when you shift parent you copy the scale,rotation/orientation,position from the parent to the child all in one step and that makes the child move to the parent's location

there may be other steps to take here if you plan to use perspective (like setting ground plane and origin)