9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 9:25 AM by jane-e

What is Price of InDesign?

Switcher102

Everytime I have tried to find the price of an Adobe product I have got terribly lost. I have been trying to find the price of InDesign (UK) and all I can find is a page that gives price per month etc. What is the actual price of the product? I don't want to pay per month, and you'll have to forgive me but I have no idea what Creative Cloud is.

Also, I have been using PageMaker 6.5 Plus. I know it's a very old product, will the current version of ID be able to see the files I have produced in that software?

Thank you

PS. I'm also finding it very difficult to find my way around this forum so if someone replies and I don't reply back I'll be lost again.

• 1. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Current versions are only offered by subscription.

• 2. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
            Switcher102 Level 1

What! You mean that even for private use I'd have to pay out per month for the rest of my life? Blimey, can't afford that.

• 3. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can purchase a one-month subscription and suspend it if you don't need it, or you can buy a yearly plan, both of which lock you into paying forever until you no longer need the software, or you can call Adobe and listen to them try to talk you out of buying a perpetual license for CS6, which will not get any future updates and will not run well, if at all on the latest operating systems, and for which you will pay through the nose (as I recall, you can subscribe for a at least three years for the same cost, and that's spread out over time as opposed to the one-time cost of a dead-end product).

I don't like the subscription model any more than you, but for Adobe products it's the new reality.

• 4. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                Derek Cross Level 6

In the UK the InDesign subscription cost £17.15 per month and the All Apps subscription (which includes InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and several more applications) costs £45.73 a month. These fees include the regular updates.

InDesign is aimed at professional users and maybe if you can't afford £5 a week you need to get something aimed at amateurs.

For occasional InDesign use you can get the monthly plan which costs £26.68 a month and which you can suspend when you don't need to use it.

• 5. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

To answer the PageMaker question: no. But CS6 Will have a go at reading these files. Your subscription will allow you to install the old CS6 as well as the current CC (it's just a name) and CS6 may well limp by well enough to do that for you. Then you can save as INDD and mice to the latest InDesign.

• 6. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                    Switcher102 Level 1

It looks like I'll have to say goodbye to Adobe now, it's gone WAY over my budget. That's £206 a year, £2,060 in 10 years ..... cripes! I seem to remember InDesign used to cost near enough £300 or £400 for an outright cost. Suspending the subscription for when not using it is just not a practical set up for a home user.

Thanks for the replies folks.

• 7. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Well, the subscription works out about the same as buying a permanent license, then upgrading to each new version as available. That's Adobe's model customer, and who they aim for. Clearly keeping PM 6.5 (not even PM 7) going all these years makes you a different proposition. Adobe seem happy to lose the "every 10-20 years" customer. Which is a pity, I rather like keeping software going for as long as possible.

• 8. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                        Switcher102 Level 1

Oh I know I'm not a model customer for them. I have no need for the continual upgrades. It's gone to be purely professional software now. 

• 9. Re: What is Price of InDesign?
                          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Switcher102 wrote:

and you'll have to forgive me but I have no idea what Creative Cloud is.

PS. I'm also finding it very difficult to find my way around this forum so if someone replies and I don't reply back I'll be lost again.

This is a user forum, and most of us are volunteers, so we will be happy to help you!

Here is a website wit FAQs for Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html

You can get a single product or everything.

Here's info on the forum itself:

First, look at the bar across the top. Mine shows I have three more messages to read. You will find this thread there if you click that button. Make sure you are logged in.

Second, you will find forum FAQs here:

Adobe Forum Help & Resources

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry the answer you got about InDesign was not the one you wanted. InDesign shipped alone for a couple of versions, then it was shipped as part of Creative Suite through CS6, and now it is part of the "umbrella" group they call Creative Cloud and has had several versions there. Wikipedia lists all the versions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_InDesign

You can download a free trial for 7 days. If you do, also do the free trial to www.lynda.com at the same time and watch an intro course on InDesign. The new features since old PageMaker are amazing! It got its start at Aldus, and is often thought of as the upgrade to PageMaker. You might find that it is worth the money for the single product. (Maybe)

Best of luck, and there is a PageMaker forum here if you have questions there.

Adobe PageMaker