6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 4:54 AM by Roei Tzoref

Change a color to white

BorghoutsDesign

Hi,

I'm new to AE so please bare with me.

I have a car that is white with a big logo on it. I want to remove the logo of the car.

I can't use the "change to color" effect because white isn't in the hue spectrum  and besides that it isn't a color.

I tried duplicating the movie-layer, create a mask of another white part, and placed it over the logo but that just didn't work because of the shades over the car paint.

Any ideas how to deal with this?

Thnx.

M.

• 1. Re: Change a color to white
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

a screenshot would be helpful.

you can create a white solid on top of the car and mask it. if you need a gradient you can add the effect gradient ramp. if you want the exact texture, you can use the stamp tool in Ae, or and you could export a frame to Photoshop, create a patch, bring it back, and place it where you need to. if there's movement of the car or camera on the frame then you would also have to track it.

• 2. Re: Change a color to white
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Roei's right -- we need to see a screen shot.  PLUS a detailed description of the lighting changes that occur over the logo area as the shot progresses.

I had to do this very same thing a few years ago.  Only on a dump truck driving out of a garage at dawn.  On bad footage.  Color temperature changes. Moving shadows.  3D Camera Tracker hadn't been thought of.  It was a real pain.

• 3. Re: Change a color to white
              BorghoutsDesign Level 1

Well actually this is the original footage.

STRASBOURG, FRANCE - CIRCA 2016: Red DPD Group Delivery Van In Center Of The City. DPD Group Is Part Of French Group La …

I want to remove the logo on the side so I can show my client how the vehicle would look with his logo on it.

I hope this can be done.

M.

• 4. Re: Change a color to white

3 step process: Tracking, Creating a Clean Plate, Color Matching.

before you do anything: do you really need the tilt down of the camera? or you could just do with the car in full frame? you got a about 5 seconds where the car is in full frame and only a small shift in camera movement. this could save you the trouble of tracking the perspective shift caused by the tilt down. if you could only do with these 5 seconds it will be much easier since there is not perspective. point tracking (Track Motion) could do it or 3D camera tracker. (Track Camera)

Step 1 - Tracking

once you have decided which part of the shot you want, you should trim your footage. only then you should track the moving object.

perspective: if you do decide you want also the tilt down of the camera at the beginning of the shot and seeing the perspective of this shot caused by the camera tilt, and that this is a plane surface, this would be an ideal candidate for tracking in Mocha Ae which comes with After effects since CS4. see here for resources: Tracking and stabilization motion workflows in After Effects. our Buddy here at the forums Rick Gerard has an excellent technique you could find useful for this case. here's a tutorial: Advanced Corner Pin With Mocha AE - YouTube

no perspective: if you take the shot from 7 seconds you can track it with a simple point tracker with position and rotation. easy peasy.

Step 2 - Creating a Clean Plate

since it's not so simple clean plate work (the car has metal bevel frame and you would have to recreate it), you should do this in Photoshop

1. export a still frame from your video: Composition->save frame as-> file. this will create a PSD from your video.

2. open the file in photoshop and clean the area you want

3. import the file back to Ae.

4. mask just the part you want

now you need to apply the tracking data to  the clean plate layer and it depends which tracking technique you choose in step 1. It could be attaching the layer to a null, with the tracking data, or applying it directly on the layer, or using a 3D Camera...

Step 3 - Color matching

you do have lighting changes so have to adjust the exposure for your clean plate to match the background. you can do this with keyframing any of the Color Correction effects. you may need to add grain too.

That's it!

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Change a color to white
                  BorghoutsDesign Level 1

Wow. What a perfectly detailed answer.

I think with my current skills this is perfectly doable.

If it's done I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'll start with the "easy" version and if that worked I'll do the "hard one"

Thank you so much.

M.

• 6. Re: Change a color to white

sure glad to help. actually I have gone and made a few gif's and planned to attach it to my original response, but you beat me to it.

Mocha Tracking:

001.gif

Clean Plate in Photoshop (bad job! but you get the idea):

cleanPlate.gif

about attaching perspective clean plate. you could do it the Rick Gerard's way (in the tutorial), but it does require getting into expressions and exporting a source for clean plate from the stabilized precomp and not the full shot. it's an amazing technique but in this case to me it's a bit complex and not that straightforward. the way I do it is find the exact frame I exported from Ae (the clean plate frame) in mocha - and at that frame in mocha set the planar surface to push to the boundaries of the image:

now when I paste the mocha data on a full frame image, it will corner pin it to the boundaries of my composition, instead of the traditional corner pinning to just a small surface I am replacing (like a screen replacement workflow). mask the clean plate. in the composition I attached the corner pinned clean plate a null to fine tune it with a bit of position and scale. color correct. done!

color-matching.gif

1 person found this helpful