18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 2:58 PM by Fawesome

Complete body change

Fawesome

Hello. I have a character rigged in a sitting position right now. I waned to make him stand up with one key. Put his arms in another position with a second key. I'm not sure how my structure would be or where to start since moving one thing such as the body means moving other things, arms eyes, etc. Would I make multiple changes on each level per item moved or do a whole new set up with the main head and body in that group the way you would do hands or eyes?

• 1. Re: Complete body change
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Yeah, the best way I could imagine doing this is like this: Have two top level groups, one called "+Sitting" with your head/body inside there, and another called "+Stand Cycle," triggered with a key a hide siblings checked, which would start a cycle layers frame-by-frame animation to get that character standing (with "Hold on Last Layer" checked). Then have the last frame of the cycle layers basically be the final, new standing character - say "+Standing" - with its own head, body, etc inside.

During each frame of the cycle I wouldn't worry about keeping the eyes/mouth live or it's probably going to get too crazy (10 heads for a 10-frame animation, for example).

It's complex, but I've seen a similar setup successfully work once of a character switching from one state to another.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Complete body change
            Fawesome Level 1

Will it be easier if my objective was just to have him in the standing position during the key press? I guess it would be cool to have him sit down or stand up continuously with one press. Also if he goes from sit to stand in like one keyframe I shouldn't have to worry about the mouth if thats the case right?

• 3. Re: Complete body change

Yeah, if you leave out cycle layers it would certainly be easier, just press S to swap between stand/sit positions, that kind of thing. Not as fluid but gets the job done. And right, then you're basically looking at a simple way to switch between two puppets. Each state would need its own head, eyes, mouth, etc. Because the head would be rising, I don't think there's a way to get away with just having one head group - it will need different positions for each state.

• 4. Re: Complete body change
                Fawesome Level 1

That makes sense. Thanks a lot. Didn't want anyone to do it for me but with the option to just make another group or go in and screw up all the structure of my model and learn nothing or how to do it wrong was not what I wanted to do.

• 5. Re: Complete body change
                  Fawesome Level 1

I wanted head movement when my character stands up so I did a cycle layer but had issues. Would that be the only way to get head movement while holding a key down or do I need to make the cycle layers action that keeps him standing up with a key press?

• 6. Re: Complete body change
                    Fawesome Level 1

Ok so you said to drop the mouth for less stuff during the sit to stand. I only did a 1 keyframe jump and it's alright but kinda fake. With the two groups +Sitting and +Standing how would I set up a few keyframes with the Head and Body groups the way they are. I understand key framing well but this has me puzzled. 4 heads/body in the head/body group or 4 head/body groups with out full mouths etc or neither of the two?

• 7. Re: Complete body change
                      Fawesome Level 1

Ok I think I understand how you mean for it to be set up. I miss read that. And it makes sense. Going to try that. Still not sure if I will have the same problem on the standing part with out holding down the key but I'm confident on the other part working.

• 8. Re: Complete body change
                        KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I tried to do what I think you are describing. Using the "latch" feature I did not need to hold the kb trigger for the moves.

Latch is described here Adobe Character Animator Help | Editing Puppet Structure

Sit Stand.gif

• 9. Re: Complete body change
                          Fawesome Level 1

Thanks a lot. The latch feature worked fine. Only thing is the +Standing cycle keeps my puppet still. Mouth will talk but eyes stay stationary and no sway from head movement.

• 10. Re: Complete body change

If you have more than one instance of stuff like Heads, mouths, eyes, etc - just tag them. In general, CH only recognizes the first instance of a name/tag per view. Anytime you have more than one of something and the second or third ones don't work, that's usually the issue.

• 11. Re: Complete body change
                              Fawesome Level 1

Tag them? I'm sure I should know what you're talking about.

• 12. Re: Complete body change

Tags were added in the last version, Preview 4. Basically it's another way to identify key parts instead of naming them correctly in Photoshop or Illustrator. Select a layer in the puppet panel and look on in the right column.

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 4.35.12 PM.png

• 13. Re: Complete body change
                                  Fawesome Level 1

I forgot all about them. Haven't used them I set my puppet up 2 weeks ago. Thanks

• 14. Re: Complete body change
                                    Fawesome Level 1

I'm pretty sure I have it tagged but still no movement.

Tags.jpg

• 15. Re: Complete body change

Does each group there have its own "Head" folder inside? If so you may need to manually add additional Head + lip sync behaviors to each group, or tag each as a different view (right profile, etc - even if it's not, that identifies as a new face).

If it's too complex, feel free to DM the file to me (Google Drive, Creative Cloud, Dropbox, etc) and I can take a closer look.

• 16. Re: Complete body change
                                        Fawesome Level 1

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Mac

Let me know if this is what you needed. I've never sent one of these projects. Thanks for any advice. Please don't show anyone else the project or at least not on youtube. Thanks. I don't know why it reset my pins and sticks. I was trying to reduce the file size and must have taken out something I shouldn't have. 

• 17. Re: Complete body change

Hi Bevan - Unfortunately it doesn't look like the link worked. Once you upload a file there should be a way to share a link.

Also, if you click on my name above here you can message me directly instead of the public forum, to keep your files private.

• 18. Re: Complete body change
                                            Fawesome Level 1

I resent it in a DM.New to forums.