5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 11:19 AM by Just Shoot Me

LR6 instalation over an older version

João Nacho Pereira

Just bought LR6, yet I have an older version of LR, and didn't want to perform an upgrade.

Should I uninstall the older before install the new one? Any chance of conflit here?

Intention is to uninstall the older one after checking all is ok and working (catalogs) with the new one.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: LR6 instalation over an older version
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

There's no need to uninstall the old version before you install LR6.

You can, as you say, uninstall it when you've made sure that the new version is working OK.

Be aware that Lightroom catalogs are not backwards compatible, so you won't be able to open an LR6 catalog in the old version.

When you open LR6 the first time, it will upgrade a copy of the old catalog, and all the work you did in the old version will carry over to the new version.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LR6 instalation over an older version
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Lets be clear on how LR 6 upgrades an older version catalog. LR 6 makes a copy of the older catalog and upgrades that copy. Your original catalog is left as it is/was so you can always go back to that version with the original catalog if you so chose to.

I have both LR 5 and LR CC 2015/6 installed on my systems. They are 2 completely different versions and LR 6 installs into its own separate folder. It does not install over the top of the older version.

Don't be confused by the naming of LR 6/CC 2015. They are the same exact program, same exact download and the same exact files get installed on your system.

The difference comes from how you Sign In to the program.

Sign In with an Adobe ID that is not and never has been associated with a subscription plan and it becomes the 6 version. And will ask for a serial number and if the serial number is for the Upgrade version it will also ask you for a serial number from a previous version.

Sign In with an Adobe ID that is tied to a subscription plan and it becomes the CC 2015 version.

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: LR6 instalation over an older version
              João Nacho Pereira Level 1

Thank you for your reply, it worked as you stated.

I will work with LR6 for a few days and then uninstall te older version.

• 4. Re: LR6 instalation over an older version
                João Nacho Pereira Level 1

Thank you.

LR6 did copy and update the catalog, and is working fine untill know.

I didn't know that you could have 2 different LR versions working in the same machine, yet for me makes no sense,  once the older one is too old (LR1.4)!!!

I did by the LR6 version,  not CC, once I don't use it that often, makes little sense to pay a monthly fee for something you don't use every month.

• 5. Re: LR6 instalation over an older version
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

João Nacho Pereira wrote:

Thank you.

LR6 did copy and update the catalog, and is working fine untill know.

Are you having a problem NOW?

Please describe the problem you are having.