5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 2:23 PM by Roei Tzoref

After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???

Movieman79

Hey folks! Question for all the more knowledgeable people than myself. I am running After Effects CC 2015. I run Windows 10, 64 bit system. 12 Gigs of ram, and about 100 gigs left of space. Everything was working perfectly fine a few weeks ago. I was importing some footage shot on my Canon Rebel camera, 1080P at 24 frames per second, and was getting rid of some dead pixels. I would send it to the render Queue, and then export it to my computer,  and I'd have a great looking video.

However, now when I try to do the same thing, the video (once rendered) is choppy and plays back in slow motion. I even find sometimes the play back in AE is choppy and in slow motion. Now there has to be a reasonable explanation for this. Nothing has changed with my system, and each file I export is only about 2 gigs, nothing overly insane. It was working fine before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Dave.

• 1. Re: After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          However, now when I try to do the same thing, the video (once rendered) is choppy and plays back in slow motion. I even find sometimes the play back in AE is choppy and in slow motion.

are you caching the frames before you play them? Ae does not allow real time playback (yet) most of the time. if you are loading it a full resolution HD footage it probably won't play it back in real time unless you cache it first.

have you read this?

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

• 2. Re: After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???
            Movieman79 Level 1

Hey! Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated! You'll have to explain to me what you mean by cashing the frames? I'm a beginner with AE for the most part.

My concern is that a few weeks ago, I was doing exactly what I was doing today (uploading the exact same file sizes, going about the same things and rendering without issue.) But now, it renders out in slow motion. It just doesn't make sense to me. I haven't touched any settings in AE. Unless there is something I am not doing, or inadvertently clicked. The file size should not be an issue, because a few weeks ago, they were rendering out at the same size perfectly fine.

• 3. Re: After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???
              My concern is that a few weeks ago, I was doing exactly what I was doing today (uploading the exact same file sizes, going about the same things and rendering without issue.) But now, it renders out in slow motion.

it's probably not slow motion, but just loading the frames to cache and trying to play them but can't.

since you are a beginner there are so many things you could do wrong. you could have accidentally typed a shortcut that makes the preview different, or selected something you did not before. there could be something else we can't know since we need exact workflow details and information to know how to help you. you could not even know what to give us. instead going off blindly in Ae that is going to get you stuck every time, spend some time with the basics. previewing is basics. and the link I sent you is at the Faq page for the forum for that reason. on some parts Ae is intuitive, but mostly it's not. it looks like an editing system that you can throw some clips and get it to work but it really isn't. start reading the link I sent you - it's all there - I am just going to write what's already there.

• 4. Re: After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???
                Movieman79 Level 1

Sounds good buddy, I completely understand. I really appreciate your time and input. I will take a look at the link you gave me!

• 5. Re: After Effects output file choppy and in slow motion. ???

You're welcome. welcome to after effects too it's fun when you know what you are doing.