1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 6:45 AM by Richard Southworth

Crop Size - Workflow Options and Save Options dialogs

Petrula Level 1

ACR 9.7

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Goal: Crop a Raw file in Abobe Camera Raw (ACR) to create a Full HD, 1920x1080, JPG file.

Open Raw file in ACR

Crop tool - make rectangle

Right-context within rectangle to set to "9 to 16".

Workflow Options dialog > Image Sizing

W: 1920   H:1080  pixels

Save Image... button > Save Options dialog > Image Sizing

W: 1920   H:1080  pixels

JPG file is 1920x1080 as desired.

Unless I set the 1920x1080 dimensions in both the Workflow Option dialog and the Save Options dialog, the saved JPG will not be 1920x1080.

One would think the Save Options dialog would get the dimensions from the Workflow Option dialog, but it does not. You have to set the Image Sizing in both.

Why?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Crop Size - Workflow Options and Save Options dialogs
          Richard Southworth Level 3

The Workflow Option controls rendering of the image when delivered to Photoshop (or "hold" if one selects Done).  I have mine set to no resize, 16 bit, and Pro Photo workspace, providing maximum flexibility for further processing.

The Save Options relate only to saving directly out of ACR.  I have several presets, the main one being to save to jpeg, resized to a maximum of 1024 pixels on a side, low sharpening for screen, sRGB workspace, quality 9 - i.e., suitable for email and web viewing.  It turns out that probably 95% of my images are processed completely within ACR, only the ones I wish to post process further, as for printing, go to PS.

So you don't have to set the same options in both, and IMO shouldn't, they are for entirely different purposes.

Richard Southworth