4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 4:40 AM by Willi Adelberger

Updating all instances after redefining a paragraph style.

drew345

In my indesign document, several lines of text in different places have paragraph style “ChapterHeading”. I want to change that style throughout my document. I select the text in one place, make the changes that I need to the text, and then in the paragraph styles window I right click on the style and say “redefine style” . So that style “ChapterHeading” is now redefined. But the strange thing is… the other instances of “ChapterHeading” don’t update to the new style changes. I can click on the other text with “ChapterHeading” and it shows that it is still using that style, but it doesn’t get updated. It is like “ChapterHeading” style now has two different meanings for text in different places.  Even I click on the other text with “ChapterHeading” style and say [Apply “ChapterHeading”], it won’t change to the updated style.

How Do I “apply” the updated paragraph style changes to instances of that style in different parts of the document?

Maybe I am incorrectly redefining the paragraph style. Is making changes to the text in one place and then clicking “redefine style” not the best way?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Updating all instances after redefining a paragraph style.
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Do you have applied a Character Style to those paragraphs?

Character styles should never be applied to the whole paragraph, only for exceptions in format or language.

• 2. Re: Updating all instances after redefining a paragraph style.
            drew345 Level 1

Hmmm, it looks like there are Character Styles involved, but not sure how they got there.

The text styles that I am changing are in a TOC. When I made the TOC I selected "new paragraph style" for this level. And made a paragraph style "TOCChapterHeading". Now I want to change "TOCChapterHeading" and have it reflect through the entire TOC for that level. But I am having the trouble described above.

You ask about Character styles. Well, just checking, there are Character styles defined. It is called Chapter-T. But not sure how they got there as I just made this TOC. The Character style goes across the entire line of the TOC entry (all the way to page number.

Should I set the Character styles back to [none] before changing the paragraph style?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Updating all instances after redefining a paragraph style.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Local formatting and character styles applied to the text in the corpus of the document will carry through to the TOC. If you need to modify text in the corpus, but not in the TOC, you should use nested character styles or GREP styles applied as part of the paragraph style in the corpus.

• 4. Re: Updating all instances after redefining a paragraph style.
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Probably the source text in the headline has a Character Style applied. The general use of Character Styles should be avoided. Often people are applying Character Styles to the whole text, either because they have learned it when they started to work with Quark Xpress and carried this praxis over to their handling of InDesign or because the document has been converted from a Quark Xpress file and normally these texts have applied Character Styles everywhere.

I would recommend to go through your document and check if there are Character Styles applied, even if they are not needed. Click on the [None] entry in the Character Style panel.