4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 3:24 PM by dj_paige

Lightoom CC Import to external hard drive or internal

Archibald the Grim

I am confused by the logic of importing images directly to the external hard drive then importing them to Lightroom on the internal hard drive to work on. Reading the various posts on the communities pages, I interpret that this seems to be a process that some use.

Or is it that the images actually stay on the external hard drive and the import to Lightroom is merely pointing Lightroom to the external hard drive image location into which I created the import.

Does this mean that saving a file after it has been worked on is actually saving the image in the original location into which I imported it on the EHD (or other location I might specify on the EHD)?

im using an iMac mid 2010 21.5 with Sierra

currently no external as the 2nd WD My Passport has died with the same error that my first one died of.

looking a g- tech 3tb portable

• 1. Re: Lightoom CC Import to external hard drive or internal
          dj_paige Level 9

I am confused by the logic of importing images directly to the external hard drive then importing them to Lightroom on the internal hard drive to work on.

Yes, I'm confused by this workflow too, it is an extremely poor choice. It is extra work for no benefit. You should import the photos to your external HD and leave them there (if that's where you want them to be stored permanently), and you are done, no need to import again or move the photos around. IMPORTANT LIGHTROOM CONCEPT: You import photos once, and never import photos more than once.

Or is it that the images actually stay on the external hard drive and the import to Lightroom is merely pointing Lightroom to the external hard drive image location into which I created the import.

There is no 2nd import to Lightroom, there is only one import to Lightroom. Example: photos are on camera card, you Import into Lightroom with the COPY option and the Destination is set to some folder on the external HD. From there, the photos can be used in Lightroom simply by finding the photo in the Library Module and then performing whatever task you want (Develop, Print, Slideshow, etc.)

Does this mean that saving a file after it has been worked on is actually saving the image in the original location into which I imported it on the EHD (or other location I might specify on the EHD)?

There is no "save" command in Lightroom, your edits are automatically saved to the Lightroom catalog as soon as you make them, you don't have to issue any "save" command (in fact, there is no "save" command to issue), and you can't turn this off.

Lightroom allows you to export a photo (create a new file containing your edits and optionally other enhancements for example additional sharpening and watermarks) to any location you want. The image portion of your original file is never modified by Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Lightoom CC Import to external hard drive or internal
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Please explain what you mean by importing them to the external hard drive. Are you doing that with LR or are you using some other program to Copy images to your external drive and then opening LR and importing them into the LR Catalog file?

Once images are on a drive your computer can access, Internal, External or even a networked drive your computer has complete access to, there is no reason to move or copy them to some other drive to work on them. Once those images are in the LR catalog file you can do all the edits you like without ever moving them.

• 3. Re: Lightoom CC Import to external hard drive or internal
              Archibald the Grim Level 1

So I have to create a folder on my ehd, open Lightroom and import (copy as DNG) and then (on the right hand side of the import window), select the EHD and the folder.i can then work on the file if necessary.

Presumably I can import the result onto a back up drive for redundancy and there's no impact on the internal hard disk storage wise.

Sorry to be pedantic but thats correct?

• 4. Re: Lightoom CC Import to external hard drive or internal
                dj_paige Level 9

Archibald the Grim wrote:

So I have to create a folder on my ehd, open Lightroom and import (copy as DNG) and then (on the right hand side of the import window), select the EHD and the folder.i can then work on the file if necessary.

No, you don't have to create a folder. You import the photo direct from the camera card using COPY or COPY as DNG to whatever folder is selected in the Lightroom Import dialog box under Destination. If a new folder is requested in this dialog box, Lightroom will create it, you don't have to.

Presumably I can import the result onto a back up drive for redundancy and there's no impact on the internal hard disk storage wise.

Sorry to be pedantic but thats correct?

No. You import the photo one time, and one time only. In the import dialog box, there is an option to create a second copy at the time of import, so you can have a backup on a different disk. This is not an import, it is a copy.

Please take some time and watch tutorials on importing

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

1 person found this helpful