1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2017 12:52 AM by orlandoz43024339

Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File

SrMoment

has quit working and I use it quite extensively.  It worked for the first week, but then quit.

How can I make it active again?

• 1. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
          mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

Check if the following settings is still showing 20 files:

2016-10-15_18-21-59.png

To do this go to:

Edit >> Preferences

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
            SrMoment Level 1

Yes, it is showing 20 files.  I did check that.

• 3. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
              Akshaya Saxena Adobe Employee

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

• 4. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                SrMoment Level 1

I just reset my preferences in Editor.  I then closed Elements and opened it up again, called in a file, made a change and saved it.  I then went back out of Elements and back in.

Still no luck.  The same list that has showed up for two weeks is there.

• 5. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                  neeraj chaudhary Adobe Employee

Hi ,

Please follow these steps -

1) Quit the application.

2)Go to %appdata% Adobe\Photoshop Elements\15.0

3) Rename the folder "Editor" to "Editor_old"

4) Launch the application again.

• 6. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                    SrMoment Level 1

I did a search and cannot find %appdata% Adobe/Photoshop Elements\15.0.  My directory structure is:

OS (C:)

Program Files

Adobe

Photoshop Elements 15

is the file in there somewhere?

• 7. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File

1) Press window+R (or search RUN)

2) write %appdata% and OK

3) now go to Adobe/Photoshop Elements\15.0

4)Rename the folder "Editor" to "Editor_old"

5) Launch the application again

• 8. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                        SrMoment Level 1

Yes that worked.  Thanks so much!

• 9. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                          orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Hi.

This 5 steps:

-Worked for a week, then the list stopped refreshing again...

Is there a solution, that lasts?

• 10. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                            SrMoment Level 1

Mine is still working, although now you have commented, I will keep an eye out to see if quits.

Perhaps Neeraj will have an answer for you?

• 11. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                              orlandoz43024339 Level 1

When I opened photos one by one, the list worked fine, but as soon I opened all 14 photos in a folder, the list quit changing...the same problem happened last week, when I opened all 22 photos in a folder...

I tried multiple opening in Elements 12 and the list works perfect...

• 12. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Hi Neeraj.

I already replied at the bottom of discussion and that reply has received SrMoment...so my reply again to you:

''This 5 steps:

-Worked for a week, then the list stopped refreshing again...''

I loaded multiple photos on my second computer and the list has stopped updating, when the list reached the number of photos set in Preferences (Recent file list contains:).

In Elements 12 the list of recenly edited files updates normaly...

Is there a solution?

• 13. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File

HI ,

This looks like your "Photoshop Elements" folder inside appdata has read only access.

'Try This:

3) now go to "Adobe"

4)Rename the folder " Photoshop Elements " to " Photoshop Elements _old"

• 14. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                    orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Hi.

It's me again...

I think the list of max recently edited files is 100 - when you will reach 100 edited files, the list will stop updating...

You can set the number to 100 in Preferences and you will see if you already reached 100 files...

I replied to Neeraj yesterday and hopefully he will have a solution, because that feature is very useful for me.

• 15. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                      orlandoz43024339 Level 1

I renamed the folder " Photoshop Elements " to " Photoshop Elements _old"  and that did reset Elements 15 again...

so I tested the whole thing... Actually, when the list of recently edited files reaches 100 (which is maximum), it stops updating.  In that folder Photoshop Elements I have also 12.0, 10.0, 8.0 but only 15.0 has problems with updating that list...

• 16. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                        TopDoug

I have the same issue. My was set at 20 and now the recently edited files don't update any more. It seems that, like older versions, it would be a rolling list in PEE15 (i.e., after your reach, say, 20, then the latest one bumps the oldest one off the list so you still have the 20 most-recent files listed. It should be this way no matter what the number is you set in the preferences.

This needs to be fixed.

• 17. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                          SrMoment Level 1

I agree this needs to be fixed.  I have had to reset my Editor-old numerous times now and every time I do, I have to reset my preferences too.

• 18. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                            YvesNYC

I am having the same issue. Cleared the Recently Edited list w/ Chat support from Adobe, and by the time I reached my max # of files  (100) again , it stopped updating the list FIFO mode as it does in previous versions of PSE, which I also have (PSE14, PSE 11). This is unacceptable as you cannot rely on PSE 15 to control your workflow any more.

Adobe Chat Tech Support seemed at a loss; they took control of my PC, cleared the list, but now  and I am back to square one. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE, and there is no excuse saying PSE15 is a totally new program from PSE14 and previous. THAT THING SHOULD WORK!!!! Offering a refund is ridiculous, even ludicrous...

Very disappointed...

• 19. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                              YvesNYC Level 1

That will not solve the problem: in PSE15,when you reach the max # of files again, FIFO stack stops working. I had Adobe Tech Support take control of my PC twice and all they did is clear the Recently Edited list, to no avail. Issue still stands.

Unacceptable. No such issue with PSE 14 or any previous versions

• 20. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                YvesNYC Level 1

Actually, once you have reached the max # of files again, the FIFO stack does work if you edit a file from the Recently Edited from the visible list, but NOT if it is a new edit.

Looks like a bug here in the FIFO file stack management...

Asked Tech Support to escalate the issue, but got no feedback so far. Hence went back using PSE14 which works fine.

• 21. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                  orlandoz43024339 Level 1

I totally agree, it's unacceptable and I am very disappointed too.

And there is NO excuse saying PSE15 is a totally new program from PSE14, because it just looks too similar - totally new program was PSE 11, because PSE 10 and previous versions interface was completely different (I own PSE8, PSE10, PSE12 and now PSE15).

PSE 15 has bugs - I also noticed that RedEyeRemovalTool resets itself, even when you switch to another image.

And in PSE 15 you can not add filters to favorites - there were mostly filters I had in favorites in previous versions !!!

The only thing I like in PSE 15 is Adjusting Facial Features, but overall PSE 15 SUCKS !!!

ADOBE should make an option to run 2 different versions of PSE simultaneously, so I could also run my PSE 12 and PSE 15 at the same time!

• 22. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                    MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SrMoment wrote:

has quit working and I use it quite extensively.

SrMoment:

Just curious about your workflow:

- do you use the organizer (or Lightroom) or a simple explorer/finder folder tree structure? Or ...?

Why do you use it quite extensively? Do you need a longer list than 20 or 100 last edited files?

• 23. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                      SrMoment Level 1

I use Elements15 and plug in software - Topaz and OnOne.

I do a lot of experimentation with textures and backgrounds to achieve the effect I want, and I rely on the recently edited file list to help me find files I had been working with, as opposed to going back through the organizer to find them.  As you say it is a workflow thing.  I would say 10 most recent files is enough for me.

• 24. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                        orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Hello.

Maybe I can also describe my workflow, because I use it extensively too...

For viewing photos I use Canon's ZoomBrowser and I often import a photo from ZoomBrowser to PhotoshopElements.

Then I edit that photo in PSE, save it and then refresh and view that photo in ZB again and also compare it with another photo. Then I often see (especially in comparison to another photo), that this just edited photo needs a little bit more editing...and then that openig of a last edited file in PSE is much quicker, than importing from ZB again...

I usually need just 3 last edited files, so the list of 15 files in enough for me.

I also use Lightroom 5 for editing and besause PSE tools are more precisely, I also often import from Lightroom to PSE.

But because in PSE the original photo opens and I can't see all the edits I have made in Lightroom (edit a copy with Lghtroom adjustments unfortunately opens too desaturated in PSE and makes a copy), my edits can't be so precisely and that's why I have to import from Lightroom to PSE more times, and that ''open recently edited file'' in PSE is again much quicker, than importing from LR again.

So, that's my workflow, I only save and use edited photos, I newer need/needed originals to this day and that's why I don't like ''edit a copy'' option in Lightroom...

• 25. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                          YvesNYC Level 1

True. No such problem with previous versions, even run simultaneously. Adobe does not seem to understand, even when Tech Support witnesses the issue...

• 26. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                            orlandoz43024339 Level 1

I can run 1 old user interface (PSE8,PSE10) and 1 new user interface (PSE12,PSE15) at the same, but not two versions of the same UI, so I can not open PSE12 and PSE15  or PSE8 and PSE10 at the same time.

The temporary solution for me would be to run PSE14 (that version works) and PSE15 (for facial features) simultaneously...

You own PSE14 - is it possible to add filters to favorites?

Thanks.

• 27. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                              Joseph_Carl

Adobe, please fix this bug!   I regularly edit a large number of files for a number of clients that are in associated folders for them and this feature saves me a great deal of time when it's working as it has in all previous versions of PSE that I own.

• 28. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Hello again Mr.Paris.

Fixing some bugs in Elements 15 is obviously a dead end...

So I have a suggestion: Adobe should make possible, that 2 versions of Elements editor can be run at the same time (anyway it is possible to run 2 versions of Elements organizer)...

So, during that time consuming bugs fixing, we could use previous version of PSE, that actually works, and the latest version of PSE, that yet doesn't work, but we can use it just for the latest features...

(closing one version and then running another version takes too much time)

Thank you.

Orlando

• 29. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File

Orlando,

I am just an other Elements user like you, but I never use the feature and never need to. I would never have noticed the bug without this post. The reason is that I use the organizer and I can find any file, recently edited or not, very rapidly.

It appears that people have different reasons to need it, hence my question. I must say that your workflow with Zoombrowser does not make sense for me. For people using various images frequently for projects like scrapbooking, I would suggest using albums (or keywords) to manage the currently used files. You can even sort them in your own custom order and you are not limited to 100 files.

orlandoz43024339 wrote:

Hello again Mr.Paris.

Fixing some bugs in Elements 15 is obviously a dead end...

So I have a suggestion: Adobe should make possible, that 2 versions of Elements editor can be run at the same time (anyway it is possible to run 2 versions of Elements organizer)...

So, during that time consuming bugs fixing, we could use previous version of PSE, that actually works, and the latest version of PSE, that yet doesn't work, but we can use it just for the latest features...

(closing one version and then running another version takes too much time)

Thank you.

Orlando

Fixing a bug in Elements generally means doing it in the next release (next version).

If there is an important bug which can be solved together with several minor ones, you may get an update before the next version; that is after several months generally.

I imagine fixing that bug is not a priority for Adobe, and that they prefer to solve several issues at the same time.

You seem to think that fixing a bug may be made in a few days. That's not how that works. Just compare with the CCloud LR/Photoshop subscription model: the idea is to fix bugs as soon as possible, with a number of realeases in the same year.

In the best case here, that takes the time to:

- reproduce the bug

- correct it

- testing if the correction does not prompts new bugs... (may be much longer than the correction itself)

- providing new update installation software.

I am pretty sure that your idea of having different Elements editor versions working at the same time in Windows is next to impossible. Fixing the present bug itself may be trivial, since that worked before in all versions. If the problem is linked with something new in the OS  version, perhaps not so... What is curious is that the same complaint has been made yesterday for a Mac in the French users forum.

• 30. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                    orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Thank you for your extensive explanation and sorry to bother you...

It is just hard to change a workflow after 5+ years...

I mostly edit portraits and in ZoomBrowser I just see more details on (edited) faces, than in PSE - is because of different user interface (photo on a white and on a black background seem different).

I don't think fixing a bug is an easy task, that takes a few days, but this 2 months ''silence'' from Adobe is what bothers me - I would expect something like: We are working on that and expect a fix in xx months or at least: We're sorry, but we will fix this bug in next wersion of PSE.  I just want to know...that's me...

I'm no computer expert, but it is possible to open PSE10 editor and PSE15 editor at the same time (I know PSE10 is completely different software, but anyway).

Thank you

• 31. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File

orlandoz43024339 wrote:

I don't think fixing a bug is an easy task, that takes a few days, but this 2 months ''silence'' from Adobe is what bothers me - I would expect something like: We are working on that and expect a fix in xx months or at least: We're sorry, but we will fix this bug in next wersion of PSE. I just want to know...that's me...

Yes, I agree... they sometimes do it in the feedback forum

Photoshop Family Customer Community

I'm no computer expert, but it is possible to open PSE10 editor and PSE15 editor at the same time (I know PSE10 is completely different software, but anyway).

You can open both organizers at the same time, but I have never been able to open different editor versions at the same time. I am on Windows and I just tested on versions 10 and 15. Maybe on Macs?

About different workflows:

- the F11 and F12 keys let you show all details and zoom as you like in the organizer, 100% view in a single click.

- You can have a number of files open at the same time in the photo bin in the editor to find visually which file you have just been editing

- I use the 'Open in ACR' function of the editor to open many raw or jpeg files at the same time to edit a batch. I can also zoom freely.

A very important (and ignored) sort order in Elements15 is the 'Import batch' order. That's especially  useful when you are working with the files of your last shooting session. A sort by 'time edited' would help in your case. That info is available for each file in the history section of the info panel on the right; unfortunately, no way to search or sort by this criteria.

• 32. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                        orlandoz43024339 Level 1

Thank you for explayning different workflows...

For many years I used editor10 and editor12 simultaneously on Windows7, I can also run editor10 and editor15 simultaneously, but you have to open editor10 first.

• 33. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                          Grammadigi Level 1

I had the same issue. I found a way around it. At least it works now. Click on the apple on the top left to get Preferences. At the same place, see 'Recent Items' Click that and your recent items will come up for you. It is more work, but it should help until they get the bug fixed. By the way, my husband is impressed because I'm a tech phobic.

• 34. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                            docsheila

Just got your note this a.m.  Yesterday, I figured what the heck, I'll uninstall and re-do.  So after all that time and re-ordering the Organizer after the restore (that takes me hours), everything is working for now.  I don't know if it was an install glitch the first time or what.  Just keeping my fingers crossed it lasts!  I'm keeping your note in one of my files just in case it starts again:((  Thanks - appreciate the response!

• 35. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                              andreas_braun Level 1

I've figured it out:

Open c:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Photoshop Elements\15.0\Editor\*.*

there you will see the file "MachinePrefs.psp" which contains the info about the last opened image files. If the list has reached the number 100 it stops to accept new image numbers.

It should, however, like in previous PSE versions, store the last file number and simply move position 99 to position 100, and so on. This doesn't (yet?) work with PSE15.

Now delete the "MachinePrefs.psp" file and you will have after the next opening of PSE15 again 100 positions available.

Andreas

• 36. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                                docsheila Level 1

Ah Andreas - looks like you've got it, but---I'm running Mac OSX and can't find the files you're referring to  Tried going directly through terminal and it gives something like no command found.  Do you know where on Mac I can get it?  I've searched for 'machine prefs.psp, , *.psp,  -- went into the Library files for PSE editor checked those files -- so far nothing.  Apple is really good about hiding things from us computer stupid people so we don't mess things up too badly:))

• 37. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                                  orlandoz43024339 Level 1

It works!  And even without reset... Thank you.

You’re the man!!!

• 38. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                                    tpgettys Level 1

I can also confirm that the recently edited list has stopped updating, and that the "fix" given by andreas_braun works by wiping the list clean.  I am concerned about whatever other data is being lost by deleting this file however.

A fix by Adobe is *greatly* preferred!!!  Do they check in here, or are we just talking to ourselves?

• 39. Re: Editor-File-Open Recently Edited File
                                                                                      andreas_braun Level 1

AFIK there are no other data lost besides the list of the opened image files after opening the file "MachinePrefs.psp" again.

But I'm firmly of your opinion that the "cure" of such an issue shouldn't be the matter of a user of PSE15 but of the designers at Adobe. And if I may add: I've discovered it by carefully comparing the relevant folders in PSE15 to the folders in PSE13 where there is no issue. After having noticed that this particular file updated in PSE13 and NOT any more in PSE15 I concluded it to be the source of the trouble. It was, WOW, a matter of trial and error .

Andreas

1 2 Previous Next