7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2016 12:36 PM by dj_paige

Can't import photos

matts40308866

I currently have version 5.7.1 on a Mac.  I cannot import any photos right now.  I have tried the exact same process that I always use, but the progress bar isn't moving once I start the import process.  And the screen just says "importing files...".  I was trying to import about 1,000 photos -- I have even just tried importing a few photos in case the issue was that it was just running slowly due to the large number of photos I was importing.  Still no luck.  I have a Nikon D5100 and just recently purchased a new lens (Tamron 16-300mm).  I don't know if that would have anything to do with it? 

When I connect my D5100 with the USB cable, and then click Import in Lightroom, I get a preview/thumbnail of all my files that I'm trying to import.  I select the photos I want to import, then select the location on my Mac that I want them to go to, then click Import.  Then, like I said above, nothing really happens.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Can't import photos
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Buy and use a Card reader.

• 2. Re: Can't import photos
            matts40308866 Level 1

What is the difference between using a card reader and plugging in directly from the camera via USB cable?  I'm stumped because I've always just used the USB cable directly from camera, but that is not working all of a sudden.

• 3. Re: Can't import photos

It's faster, doesn't put a strain on the camera's battery or USB port and takes pieces of hardware out of the equation, the camera and the cable

• 4. Re: Can't import photos
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

When you connect a camera using the USB cable, the camera pretends to be a hard drive. Since this is not the primary purpose of the camera, the programmers setup the pretending to do the bare minimum needed. Sometimes that minimum is not quite good enough.

Card readers are designed to give the full view of a hard drive. They are faster for transfers, less error prone, don't need special drivers, and don't drain your camera's battery.

• 5. Re: Can't import photos
                  matts40308866 Level 1

Thank you both for the information.  I will definitely get a card reader for future uploads. 

Anyone have a solution for my problem though?  I'm sure the card reader will help simplify the process and take strain off my camera, but I don't think that will solve my upload problem.  I've always used my camera to directly upload my files to Lightroom with no issue. 

• 6. Re: Can't import photos

Use the File Manager for your OS to Copy the images off the camera to a folder on your drive, preferably the folder you want them to stay in, then use the Add option in the LR Import dialog window to add them to the LR catalog.

• 7. Re: Can't import photos
                      dj_paige Level 9

Anyone have a solution for my problem though?  I'm sure the card reader will help simplify the process and take strain off my camera, but I don't think that will solve my upload problem.  I've always used my camera to directly upload my files to Lightroom with no issue.

If your problem is a hardware issue (bad cable, bad connection) then a card reader can fix the problem entirely by bypassing the bad piece of hardware.