1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 8:14 AM by johnrellis

Video is lagging in Lightroom

KrsCph

I shoot a few videos with my Nikon D810. In Photoshop they are slow and lagging. I thought my hardware, see below, should be up for the job so how can that be?

Thank you in advance!

Hardware according til System Info in Lightroom:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]
      License: Creative Cloud
      Operating system: Windows 10
      Version: 10.0
      Application architecture: x64
      System architecture: x64
      Logical processor count: 8
      Processor speed: 3,5 GHz
      Built-in memory: 16269,6 MB
      Real memory available to Lightroom: 16269,6 MB
      Real memory used by Lightroom: 4075,7 MB (25,0%)
      Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4516,0 MB
      Memory cache size: 3805,0 MB
      Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
      Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
      System DPI setting: 96 DPI
      Desktop composition enabled: Yes
      Displays: 1) 2560x1440
      Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
      GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
      Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
      Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 364.51
      Renderer: GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
      LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

• 1. Re: Video is lagging in Lightroom
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

From Re: Video's don't play properly:

Over the years many people have complained about video playback issues, and there don't seem to be any solutions that have worked consistently (though I'd love to be corrected).

You could try emptying the video cache and increasing its size via Preferences > File Handling > Video Cache Settings. But that probably won't help (though prove me wrong!).

I long ago gave up on viewing video within LR on my fully loaded 15" Macbook Pro.   I use LR mainly for cataloging of video (and I only have a couple hundred), I don't try to edit in LR, and I always view the video in an external player.

While you can do that by right-clicking the video's thumbnail and doing Show In Finder, there are two plugins that make that more convenient, Open Directly and my Any File.  Using the Mac's standard keyboard shortcuts you can assign a shortcut (I use Ctrl + O) to Any File's Open command, which will open the selected file in the default application defined for its file type. (You wouldn't need to use any of Any File's other features.)  I'm pretty sure you can do the same in Open Directly, though I haven't tried it. If you have just one video player, Open Directly is free;  Any File isn't free, but you can pay whatever you want.