4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 9:16 AM by juliene85

Problems importing photos to LR

juliene85

Hi everyone!

I have encountered a problem which does not seem to solve it self. I'm sorry for the long post, but I always find it better to help others if they describe the problem in an as detailed manner as possible so here it comes.

I've been using LR CC for approx 1/2 yr now, and up until recently I haven't had any problems. However recently I have encountered problems importing my photos. This has happened on several occasions with different memorycards. I currently shoot on an old canon 7d, which uses a CF card. I have had several memorycard readers, all of them have been of poor quality so now I import directly from my camera. Usually I import my photos directly to an external harddrive, make a backup to my second external harddrive and then format my memorycard. However, a week ago I forgot formatting my memorycard, took some photos and tried to import them. In the "import photos window" all my photos appeard as "preview unavailable" and when I tried to import them LR just froze and I had to force quit the program.

This is what I have tried:

1. changed my battery (it was almost empty, so worth a shot)

2. quit and reopened LR

3. import directly to my computer

4. reinstall LR

The situation solved itself when my dad managed to import the photos to my harddrive on his computer (note that we both have a macbook pro, running Sierra. both have LR CC, all updated). After formatting the memorycard I took some more photos, imported them and then filled my memorycard (replicating the situation where i could not import my photos). When I had no problems importing photos both times, I thought it was a one-time problem. However, the problem occurred yesterday when I got a second memorycard back from my brother. He had borrowed mine and used it on an old camera of mine (canon 400D). He shoots JPEGs. I could not import photos with LR, but I managed to get import them with Photos (mac software, real crap...).

Seeing as I have an old camera and have imported photos successfully with the current software (both OS and LR), I really do not understand what's wrong. Anybody have some pointers, ideas??

PS: one commonly suggested solution is to import photos directly via finder. However, as I connect my camera directly to my computer it does not show up as a separate drive so this does not work.

PPS: I have not tried using other software to import my photos (such as the canon-software), mainly because I didn't think of it at that moment. However, I would prefer fixing the problem directly so I can continue using LR as I have always done, rather than adding another step in the process...

Best

Julie

• 1. Re: Problems importing photos to LR
          dj_paige Level 9

Seeing as I have an old camera and have imported photos successfully with the current software (both OS and LR), I really do not understand what's wrong. Anybody have some pointers, ideas??

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Possibly the cable to the camera is bad, or is not connected properly, or the cable jack on the camera is wearing out, or the USB port is going bad. Buy/borrow/steal a new card reader and see if the problem goes away.

• 2. Re: Problems importing photos to LR
            juliene85 Level 1

Thanks for your answer. However, I'm a bit skeptical of this explanation, seeing as one of my external harddrives and my camera uses the same type of cable. I thus have two such cables and use them interchangeably. I have no problems with my external harddrive. My mac is relatively new so i doubt any problems with the usb-ports (seing as LR is the only problem i sometimes have).

Furthermore, as stated above. Yesterday, I could not import my photos with LR, but it worked perfectly with photos only minutes later. (Same happened a week ago, when I managed to import the photos with my dads computer, even though I used the same camera and cable).

I'm no expert, so it could be that the harddrive you are pointing at is unstable and I don't know if it is possible that it is so unstable that it selectively is unstable while using LR?

• 3. Re: Problems importing photos to LR
              dj_paige Level 9

Hardware problems can be intermittent. Especially if it's something like a cable not being properly seated into the camera or computer, especially if the USB port or camera connector is worn.

My mac is relatively new so i doubt any problems with the usb-ports (seing as LR is the only problem i sometimes have).

I don't follow this at all. New components can malfunction.

• 4. Re: Problems importing photos to LR
                juliene85 Level 1

My mac is relatively new so i doubt any problems with the usb-ports (seing as LR is the only problem i sometimes have).

I don't follow this at all. New components can malfunction.

Don't disagree, however I use both USB ports actively with a number of different gadgets, and the only problem I have is with LR. I will (as I always do) off course check out this possibility next time the problem arises, and if possibly "buy/borrow/steal a new card reader and see if the problem goes away."

Thanks for your input