5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 11:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!

Johnny_Polite
      Hello,

I am just starting to learn ASP with VBScript because I am trying to develop an online registration application to connect to a Access DB that I previously built. I am just reading through books and enjoying the learning process. I am pretty decent at VBA, so it is fun to apply that to the internet.

My big problem is that I receive this error message on the browser: Data source name not found and no default driver specified. I set up the DSN on the System tab in Administrative tools in the Control Panel. I have my sample DB placed on a server that recognizes ASP commands. Dreamweaver recognizes the connection and I can manipulate the recordsets, establish SQL statements...but when I get to the browser, it gives me the error message.

I have been learning both in FrontPage and in Dreamweaver and Front Page can connect just fine to the DB through it's internal menus. I much prefer Dreamweaver, though, and I know that when I get this connectivity issue straightened out I will start really making some progress.

I appreciate all the help in advance and if you need me to clarify anything, let me know.
        • 1. Re: HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!
          Level 7
          What happened when you created the connection? Did you upload the
          connection file to the server? Is your testing server local IIS?

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual,
          DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's Guide
          Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"Johnny Polite" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:funopc$luq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello,
          >
          > I am just starting to learn ASP with VBScript because I am trying to
          > develop
          > an online registration application to connect to a Access DB that I
          > previously
          > built. I am just reading through books and enjoying the learning process.
          > I
          > am pretty decent at VBA, so it is fun to apply that to the internet.
          >
          > My big problem is that I receive this error message on the browser: Data
          > source name not found and no default driver specified. I set up the DSN
          > on the
          > System tab in Administrative tools in the Control Panel. I have my sample
          > DB
          > placed on a server that recognizes ASP commands. Dreamweaver recognizes
          > the
          > connection and I can manipulate the recordsets, establish SQL
          > statements...but
          > when I get to the browser, it gives me the error message.
          >
          > I have been learning both in FrontPage and in Dreamweaver and Front Page
          > can
          > connect just fine to the DB through it's internal menus. I much prefer
          > Dreamweaver, though, and I know that when I get this connectivity issue
          > straightened out I will start really making some progress.
          >
          > I appreciate all the help in advance and if you need me to clarify
          > anything,
          > let me know.
          >

• 2. Re: HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Did you use the SEARCH function?
            http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/search.cfm

odbc

On that page resulted in several previous discussions
            • 3. Re: HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!
              Johnny_Polite Level 1
              Yes, I did comb through the discussions and found some people with the same problem. Still, I did not see any solution in the discussions. I checked through many of the suggestions (e.g., permissions on the Access file, making sure the testing server was accurate) but couldn't locate the problem.
              • 4. Re: HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!
                Johnny_Polite Level 1
                Hey Nancy,

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading through some online technical libraries and I think I may be narrowing my problem. Here is what I did exactly:

1) Loaded my DB to an actual server that supports ASP
                2) Went in on my local computer and created an ODBC to the .mdb file on the server
                3) Used the Dreamweaver Application tab and accessed my DB from there. I just created a simple RS to test.
                4) Used a browser to look at the page and received the error.

I think a problem may be that I didn't put the ODBC on the server itself. What I would like to do is understand how to create an environment where I can use my local computer to develop ASP pages then upload everything to the server. Like I said, I am a fresh newbie to designing stuff to the web. To demonstrate, I don't even understand what local IIS is other than I think it would create the aforementioned environment I am seeking. I am chomping at the bit to get my connectivity resolved because I feel I will really get cooking when I can start using VBScript because of my semi-proficiency in VBA.

Again, I appreciate the reply and will take whatever pointers you have to offer.

-JP
                • 5. Re: HELP! Need to set up ODBC!!!
                  Level 7

"Johnny Polite" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:funsv0$qa9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hey Nancy,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reply. I have been reading through some online technical
                  > libraries and I think I may be narrowing my problem. Here is what I did
                  > exactly:
                  >
                  > 1) Loaded my DB to an actual server that supports ASP
                  > 2) Went in on my local computer and created an ODBC to the .mdb file on
                  > the
                  > server

by "ODBC" do you mean the DSN setup?

> 3) Used the Dreamweaver Application tab and accessed my DB from there. I
                  > just created a simple RS to test.
                  > 4) Used a browser to look at the page and received the error.
                  >
                  > I think a problem may be that I didn't put the ODBC on the server itself.

if you did a DSN setup on your local machine for your connection, then yes,
                  you will need to create a DSN on your server as well. If you have full
                  access to the server, you'd set it up the same way as on your desktop. If
                  you don't have full access to the box, some ISPs CPanels will have routines
                  to setup a DSN for you. If they don't, you'd have to use a DSNless
                  connection.

> demonstrate, I don't even understand what local IIS is other than I think
                  > it
                  > would create the aforementioned environment I am seeking.

"local IIS" would imply an IIS server on your local machine. This will be a
                  somewhat limited version of a full IIS install. And depending on your server
                  OS, the versions of IIS between your desktop and sever will be different and
                  may have different functionality.