2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 10:54 AM by rob day

Multiple page UV spot varnish InDesign document

AfricanHummingbird Level 1

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help! I am designing an art catalogue in InDesign where almost every page will have a UV spot varnish over the art image. As I have not done multiple spot varnish before I'm not quite sure how to set this up and give to the printers.

Do I create a separate file for the varnish once I have finished the book?

Please can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Jules

• 1. Re: Multiple page UV spot varnish InDesign document
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would create a new layer at the top of the stack for the varnish.

The varnish itself must be defined as a spot color (name it Varnish) so it makes a new plate, but you can use any color definition you like for preview on the page. Objects on this layer must be set to Overprint in the Attributes panel or they will knock out your images below.

You can turn off the varnish layer while doing the layout to make it easier to see what you are doing, then back on for the PDF, or make two PDFs, one with no varnish, and one for only the varnish. Talk to the printer to see which they prefer

• 2. Re: Multiple page UV spot varnish InDesign document
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, you can imitate the effect of the varnish by choosing an almost white Lab definition. So here my Varnish spot color is set to overprint and with Overprint Preview turned on it imitates a varnish over CMYK:Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 1.43.38 PM.png

I can use Separation Preview to see the Varnish plate or the CMYK plates:

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 1.44.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 1.44.36 PM.png

If i turn off Overprint preview the Varnish spot hides objects underneath so I can make sure it's above the varnished object:

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 1.52.37 PM.png