1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 1:26 PM by dj_paige

Lightroom 6.0 Locks up on my iMac

Angus MacRath

I have had several problems when editing pictures in Lightroom where the program locked up  (spinning pinwheel of death) or the entire computer locks up.  Often when the whole computer lock up happened the fan comes on at High setting, continues and then I must restart the computer.

A second problem occurs when importing and I have chosen to convert to DNG from canon raw format and ignore previously imported pictures. Lately I cannot depend on any of that to actually happen. It imports the file as CR2 raw files instead of .DNG raw format and this often occurs if there are pictures already imported with a previous session it imports a duplicate the CR2 version despite a previous import as DNG.

I have tried to run Help: Updates... it showed an Adobe icon in the tray very briefly but nothing else happens and Lightroom 6.0 is still the version number.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.0 Locks up on my iMac
          dj_paige Level 9

Angus MacRath wrote:

I have had several problems when editing pictures in Lightroom where the program locked up (spinning pinwheel of death) or the entire computer locks up. Often when the whole computer lock up happened the fan comes on at High setting, continues and then I must restart the computer.

When your computer locks up and the fans are running on high, you have a hardware malfunction somwhere causing your computer to overheat. Most likely one or more of the fans in the case have stopped running, and the rest are running extra hard to make up. Alternatively, the air flow in your computer case has become so constricted that normal cooling can't happen and you need to clean out your computer case and make sure all vents are open and not clogged.

Angus MacRath wrote:

A second problem occurs when importing and I have chosen to convert to DNG from canon raw format and ignore previously imported pictures. Lately I cannot depend on any of that to actually happen. It imports the file as CR2 raw files instead of .DNG raw format and this often occurs if there are pictures already imported with a previous session it imports a duplicate the CR2 version despite a previous import as DNG

Certainly you should update Lightroom to version 6.7

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

I don't have any other advice on what is happening but the idea of importing photos into Lightroom a second time is never a good idea. Since I don't ever do that, I can't say if that is the cause of your problems or not.