1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 12:43 PM by Per Berntsen

Upgrading from LR4 to LR6 (with other issues?)

gregking13053

Let me start this by saying that I have used LR4 but I know I only know a fraction of all it can do so I still consider myself a newbie (or worse).

I bought LR6 to replace my copy of LR4.  I installed it on my laptop and I got errors saying it was not compatible with my video.  So I deleted LR6.  Several months later I finally decided on a new laptop. I am now trying to install on the new laptop.

First thought was to load LR6 on the new laptop, move photos to new laptop and start using LR6.  Then it seemed that would probably not work since I would need the LR Catalog and I almost certainly could not just copy LR4 Catalog to new laptop and rename it.

So I then thought I could re-install LR6 on the old laptop, find information on conversion to LR6 then move photos and LR6 Catalog to the new laptop.

When I loaded LR6, I get a message that "Lightroom mobile trial expired".  I am assuming Lightroom mobile is a different product than LR6 but the version I purchased was LR6.

What is the best method to make the transition from LR4 on the old to LR6 on the new laptop?

Please be as specific as you can.

• 1. Re: Upgrading from LR4 to LR6 (with other issues?)
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
          What is the best method to make the transition from LR4 on the old to LR6 on the new laptop?
          1. Copy the LR4 catalog (.lrcat file) from the old laptop to the new laptop. There's no need to rename it.
          2. Copy the photos from the old laptop to the new laptop, to the same location as on the old laptop.
          3. Launch LR6, go to File > Open, and navigate to the LR4 catalog.
          4. LR6 will now create a copy of the LR4 catalog, and upgrade it, and you should be good to go.
          5. Don't worry about "Lightroom mobile trial expired", it is as you say a different product.