11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 11:55 AM by joshl23324095

Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?

Kastphoto

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 11.08.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-16 at 11.09.28 PM.png

Why does the healing brush/clone stamp tool in lightroom suck so bad compared to the same tool in your other software, Adobe Photoshop?  I mean its NIGHT VS DAY.  In lightroom its slow, awkward, and not intelligent at all.

Using the healing brush, If I'm simple trying to remove someone from the background, like say someone swimming in the ocean on the beach for instance with a family portrait on the beach as a foreground.  N aturally it should auto pick a round spot in the picture just adjacent to the spot I'm selecting, more ocean water.... but no instead it selects a round section of someones leg or a boat or something that DOESNT even match a similar texture or tone of the ocean/waves.  This is not particular to a beach scene.

But when I use Photoshop the healing brush is INSANELY GOOD.  Its almost dead on everytime.  I can BREEZE through a photo and take out all sorts of objects out of the photo.

So then why is there such a difference?

Also the clone stamp tool is awkward compared to photoshop. In photoshop I can just paintbrush over objects from similar areas of the photo.  In Lightroom its different, first I have to select the area, then it produces an selection of an object somewhere else in the photo.  It's like backwards?  Not intuitive, not quick. I can breeze things out of picture with the clone stamp tool in photoshop but not lightroom. 

PLEASE FIX THIS!  It would make my life and the lives of many photographers so much better!  Please please please.  Thank you!!!!

• 1. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Firstly I agree with your sentiments.

Secondly the Clone Stamp Tool in Photoshop is far more useful.

However in Lightroom-

Are you moving the "Source" circle to a better location?  In your photo- drag the source spot to an area over the water.

The Brush in LR was originally called a "Spot Healing Brush"  and this is still what it does best- heal spots, like dust on the sensor, etc. Its ability to clone will always be less effective.

The ' / ' key can also automatically select another source area. (keep pressing)

ScreenShot266.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
            Kastphoto Level 1

Yes I know I'm suppose to move it, but try doing that for many or oddly shaped objects in the photo and it's very frustrating and inefficient. Now times that by thousands of photos!  Arggggg!

Please adobe, why not implement the same tools from photoshop? You have the code, it works great. Just plug it into lightroom. I'll take either the good healing brush or a usable clone tool.  It doesn't make any sense to render out a .raw file into photoshop to be saved as a huge .tif file and imported back into lightroom just to clean up people and objects in the background when you should be able to do this with ease and grace while maintaining non destructive editing.  

Serious how many portrait photographers and wedding photographers use lightroom?  A ton! So wtf?  

I hope adobe does something about this soon.  I can't believe an aeesome full flashship photo editing software like this doesn't have this basic functioning. 

• 3. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The difference between LR and PS is the difference between non-destructive editing and destructive editing. Photoshop changes the pixels in the image, forever losing the old pixels when you save the file. This gives PS the freedom to do complicated and advanced things that are not yet possible with non-destructive editing.

Fortunately, PS is easily launched from LR when you need to do the advanced stuff.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

In Lightroom the tool is called a Spot Removal Tool, not a healing brush.  While it does have a clone option and a heal option, the main purpose is to remove sensor dust spots and other small specs on the image.  It was never intended to be a content aware tool for removing large objects such as people, although occasionally it may do a decent job on such larger objects.  The main reason is stated above; LR is non-destructive, and as such, operates using very different technology.

But when I use Photoshop the healing brush is INSANELY GOOD.  Its almost dead on everytime.  I can BREEZE through a photo and take out all sorts of objects out of the photo.

So there is your answer; plan to use Photoshop if you have thousands of photos needing this feature, although, frankly, I do not understand why you would have thousands of photos needing this much editing!  Seems excessive!

• 5. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  While it does have a clone option and a heal option, the main purpose is to remove sensor dust spots and other small specs on the image. 

That was true of earlier versions, but in LR 5, Adobe expanded considerably the capabilities of the Advanced Healing Brush:

Lightroom 5 Beta Now Available!

Advanced Healing Brush
                  Lightroom 2 added the ability to quickly remove spots and imperfections from your images.  Photographers could only heal circular areas, but many unwanted elements in photographs have irregular shapes. In Lightroom 5 beta we’ve overhauled the Spot Removal algorithm.

With the Advanced Healing Brush, photographers can now adjust the size of the brush and move it in precise paths, so unwanted objects and flaws—even those with irregular shapes like threads—just disappear. Lightroom 5 even let’s portrait photographers achieve subtle, natural looking results when they smooth wrinkles or fix blemishes on their subjects.

Though I think everyone agrees that it's not as capable as Photoshop's tool.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                    Kastphoto Level 1

So this is an actual limitation of the Lightroom?  I'm not a pro coder but I'd imagine theres something you could do within Lightroom to use smart algorithms for healing brush similar to what photoshop uses, or a proper clone tool that paints over an area from a pre selected area like photoshop does.  Both the healing brush tool and the clone tool are CRUCIAL for us photogs and just suck in Lightroom.   Right now its slow, clunky, and has totally bad random selection at times, actually most of the time.  Why the healing brush doesnt select some nearby pixels of similar ocean water and instead goes for some direct lines, different colors and textures of someones face or arm completely baffles me!?  It works flawlessly in photoshop!  This can't be a limitation of lightroom?! 

Also a big problem with photoshop is I have to save the edited file as .TIF and now the file size is 100mb instead of 25mb for a RAW and I have extra files in my catalogue that get mixed up.  The fize size adds up quick when you're processing and editing thousands of photos every week.  Huge waste of computer hard drive and/or valuable backup hard drive space.  Not to mention having both programs open at the same time also hogs valuable cpu/ram resources. So please look into this Adobe!

Lightroom could also use to have a legit airbrush with varying opacity % to smooth some basic skin tones around eyes and what not. 

Dont get me wrong.  I love photoshop, and playing with all its robust tools and layers and brush sets and all the fun you can have with it. But why LIGHTROOM in its current capacity that I myself, and many other family portrait/wedding photographers can't do basic skin adjustments and deletionion of random people/objects from the background of photos, and for thousands and thousands of photos every week/month is vexing. 

I'd rather stay within Lightroom if I can, that would be more efficient, cleaner, and user friendly.  Please Adobe fix this! 

• 7. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

As this forum is a "User to User" forum, your requests to Adobe might be better seen at -Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community

with varying opacity %

Are you aware of the % slider for adjustments?

1. Make all the slider adjustments you want for a brush (or choose a brush preset)

2. Brush on the image.

3. Click the triangle to get the "Amount" slider that changes the overall brush effect on the scale 0-100 (%)

ScreenShot268.jpg

ScreenShot269.jpg

ScreenShot270.jpg

• 8. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                        greg14 Level 1

I guess for me the question is why can LR change the action like the old Apple Aperture way.
                        In Aperture you would highlight the area to transfer and then highlight the targeted area.
                        (I hope I explained it correctly)
                        The problem I constantly see is that the algorithm decides on it s own what area to select for the spot removal.
                        As an example, I want to remove a blemish from a face, I set the proper (circle) size and the program instead of picking another smooth area on the face may pick a section of hair or neck or who knows what.
                        Not every time obviously but just enough to be annoying.

Yes, I know I can move the circle but if I am doing 3-4 spot removals I have to wait until each one is entered.
                        As I said, not the end of the world, just annoying.

Thanks for allowing to to vent a minor frustration, LR is the closest to Apple's Aperture I have found, in that Cataloging was important to me.

Greg

• 9. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                          elie_di Level 3

Hold down Control before clicking on the target area and then, without releasing Control, drag the cursor to the desired source area. One click-and-drag and no need to re-position the source circle.

• 10. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                            greg14 Level 1

Thanks, to learn something new is always important, I will give it a try over then weekend.

Happy New Year,

Greg

• 11. Re: Lightroom Healing Brush/Clone Stamp awful vs Photoshop version?
                              joshl23324095 Level 1

Take the moment to acknowledge and give thanks to the Mighty, one-and-only, Photoshop.