3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2018 9:16 AM by joanh22203655

Grain/Noise Problem

M Chan Works Level 1

Some of my pics were rejected due to Grain/Noise issues. The issue seemed to be due to post processing as i shot in ISO100. Some of the pics in which i did post processing were accepted. In what cases the pictures are getting rejected due to noise..

• 1. Re: Grain/Noise Problem
          Mike Bowes Level 1

You can go too far with sharpening.  It causes a gritty effect, especially in non-detail areas.  Try using the Mask in Camera Raw, and crank it up to cover everything you don't really need to be sharp.

• 2. Re: Grain/Noise Problem
            Sherwood.Martinelli Level 1

Not sure this helps, but I just posted a question on the same issue, but from a different slant...someone ran through about 55-60 of my images tonight...in a matter of less than one hour, had well over 30 rejected, a total of 46 for the night for Grain/Noise Problem...11 of them in just one minute.   Call me a skeptic, but find it hard to believe that someone could look at 55-60 of my pictures, and reject 46 of them for Grain/Noise problem unless they were just going through the motions...it's only my opinion, but find it almost impossible to believe that 75 percent of the pictures awaiting peer review had grain/noise issues.

Sherwood Martinelli

• 3. Re: Grain/Noise Problem
              joanh22203655 Adobe Community Professional

I have noticed an ever growing conversation here - about rejections for grain and noise. I certainly have had my share of similar rejections. With an artist's eye, most of the time, our subject matter is interesting and marketable. Color is usually not an issue since buyers may easily change colors as they wish. Even composition can be adjusted by the customers.

Grain and noise are hard for the customer to get rid of. With so many continual rejections for noise and grain, the cause has to be in the equipment and/or the after tinkering that goes on before we offer our work to Adobe. I take a very close look at every inch of the rejected photo. Most often my camera lens has failed me or I failed it and have overcorrected it in the raw camera filter. Or I have used too much contrast and so on. Buyers do not like to deal with noise anywhere in the stock they purchase. Adobe has lots of information about rejection for noise and grain. To the neutral professional eye, it is spotted instantly in magnification of 100% even better at 200%. If the problem is in all 200 photos offered, you might have a faulty piece of equipment or processing that is constantly giving you grain and noise.

Try practicing with one or two of your favorite offerings and find the trouble spots. Then try the methods offered in Adobe tutorials. Offer the same piece again once you think you have fixed it and noise/grain is gone. Hopefully, it will be accepted. Don't forget what you did to fix the problem. Make step-by-step notes.

The best fix-it trick for my rejected work is to take out the post-processing work and send in the untouched work first.

Best regards,

1 person found this helpful