6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2009 4:37 PM by penugonda

AIR Application Packaging

penugonda
      Need help in packaging AIR application with a registration process. We planned to use node locked licensing , how to make AIR application for node locked license. I am not sure how to get any physical address like MAC address to ADOBE AIRapplication.

Pl. share your thoughts and ideas.
        • 1. Re: AIR Application Packaging
          anirudhs Level 2
          Hi,

As of AIR 1.5, there is no built-in API to get the MAC address. You could wrap a custom installer around your AIR application that does this for you, but you'd need a AIR redistribution license to do it:

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2008/04/07/redistributing-the-adobe-air-runtime-installer /
          • 2. Re: AIR Application Packaging
            penugonda Level 1
            I am not getting why its required to club with the AIR 1.5 installation.. Assume AIR 1.5 installation happens as normal what AIR provides it runs as part of the application installation may be in silent mode( need to explore on this).

My question is if I have an AIR application... How the AIR application can be made to run on a specific machine.
            • 3. Re: AIR Application Packaging
              anirudhs Level 2
              Hi,

Let me clarify: AIR 1.5 does not have APIs to get MAC address while the app is running or installing.

You could have a custom installer that gets the mac address and install your AIR app silently. (It could use the mac address and handle the registration during installation or write it to a file that the AIR application can read from later). For doing this, you need to have a redistribution license.

The point of clubbing it with the installation process is due to the fact that there is no way to invoke a native application or program from AIR while your app is installing or running. So your native program has to be either run during installation; or installed by the custom installer and that should run first and then launch your AIR application each time.

Hope that clarifies things. Feel free to ask for clarification regarding any point.
              • 4. Re: AIR Application Packaging
                penugonda Level 1
                Thanks Anirudh!
                I got your point.. I thought license is required only when I am distributing AIR along with my AIR APP. I thought AIR APP can be packed into my custom installer without any license.

Looks like License is required if I am not using AIR installer.
                Would it be possible to share the code snippet that gets the mac address and stores into the filesystem that the AIR APP can pick up later.
                • 5. Re: AIR Application Packaging
                  penugonda Level 1
                  Thanks Anirudh!
                  I got your point.. I thought license is required only when I am distributing AIR along with my AIR APP. I thought AIR APP can be packed into my custom installer without any license.

Would it be possible to share the code snippet that gets the mac address and stores into the filesystem that the AIR APP can pick up later.
                  • 6. Re: AIR Application Packaging
                    penugonda Level 1
                    Thanks Anirudh!