2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 2:01 PM by falconer92

why does LR want to Import/Add all my photos again?

falconer92

My old PC was dying so I just purchased a new Dell cpu and a lovely BenQ monitor.  I've been running LR5 so the move/upload from Adobe was pretty simple. I keep my catalogue and all my photos on an external hard drive.  So when LR asked to put the catalogue on my C Drive I redirected it to where it lives on my external hard drive. But here’s my question: When I opened LR5 and found all my photos, it wanted to “add” them. ALL of them as imports??? I don’t understand. With my old setup, the photos already had been copied into my external hard drive and LR easily accessed them. But now it wants to “add” them before I can work on existing files? Why? Where did I goof? thanks!!! Emily

• 1. Re: why does LR want to Import/Add all my photos again?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

That is because when you first open LR on your new computer is created a New catalog because it could find the old one on your external drive. In LR go to File > Open Catalog and Browse to your external drive and open your original catalog.

If you somehow overwrote your original catalog with the new one LR created, that you redirected to the external, then it could be your original catalog is gone.

Do a search of the external drive for files that end in .LRCAT (that is really .lrcat, lower case letters).

How many do you have? If more than one open each to find your original catalog.

I suggest you Rename the catalog to something that is different than what LR uses as the Default name. That is usually "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat".

• 2. Re: why does LR want to Import/Add all my photos again?
            falconer92 Level 1

Thank you!  It took a few tries, but I finally got LR to default to my original catalog.