3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 4:07 AM by dj_paige

Importing and saving to Lightroom

carmenp80431588

Hi, I am new to Lightroom and just imported 3,500 photos from Photos app on my Mac. I read that for photos to be saved, I need to export them. Is there any reason (other than future editing) not to export them all as a jpg file to the same directory updating the files so I have a new and complete backup on my HD?

• 1. Re: Importing and saving to Lightroom
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi carmenp,

Yes, you need to export all the images out from the Photos app because Lightroom don't see images which is stored in a specific app.

In order to import images in Lightroom you need have your images on Finder Location, saved on external hard drive and you can also import images directly from the camera Or sd card.

Note: Lightroom don't store your images just like the Photos app, its only import the smart preview of the images and you need have your original images connected with Lightroom( location wise) for editing.

You can refer the below article which is little old because it for Lightroom 5 & Aperture, however it will give you enough information.

Ready to move on from Aperture or iPhoto? | The Lightroom Queen

Regards,

Mohit

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing and saving to Lightroom
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The photos do not exist "in" Lightroom like they do in Photos. The images are on the hard drive just like all your other documents. Lightroom just references the images by path and filename.

The edits you make to the images exist only in the Lightroom catalog. To see the edits outside of Lightroom, you need to export the edits as a new image file.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing and saving to Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

carmenp80431588 wrote:

I read that for photos to be saved, I need to export them.

This is nonsense, this is not true, this is incredibly poor writing by the author (Scott Kelby????)

Your edits are saved automatically in the Lightroom catalog. You do not need to do anything for the edits to be saved.

Is there any reason (other than future editing) not to export them all as a jpg file to the same directory updating the files so I have a new and complete backup on my HD?

Yes, there is a reason. What you are explaining is totally wrong, and these exports are not a backup in any reasonable sense of the word "backup".

You want to make backups of your originals and also backups of the catalog file. This should be done on a regular basis, and automated so you don't forget. Exports are not needed for backups, they are not backups.

You do not export images just to "save" them. They have already been saved as I explained above. You export images only when you need them for some purpose outside of Lightroom (e-mail, web, print, etc.)