3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 9:35 AM by Rick Gerard

Grainy After Effects Keylight

fran321

Hey all,

I'm using Keylight 1.2 to key out some greenscreen. I've followed a ton of tutorials, all of them make it seem very basic. I've messed around to try and get the perfect key, but most of the outlines always turn out really grainy. It never keys just right. However, if I invert it using screen matte, I get what looks like a perfect key. So I believe it's possible. I'm using MXF files, and they are a tad low-contrast. I brought up the contrast, but that didn't seem to help. The initial image isn't grainy at all.

I've messed with both the Screen Matte Clip Black and Clip white, and it get's it close. But there is always flickering grain near the outline of the person.

What might I be doing wrong?

password: test1

• 1. Re: Grainy After Effects Keylight
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing your keying settings, we can't tell you much. Provide screenshots. One thing's for sure: The lighting is completely whacky and the screen color wrong for a good green screen.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Grainy After Effects Keylight
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

fran321 wrote:

Hey all,

I'm using Keylight 1.2 to key out some greenscreen...most of the outlines always turn out really grainy... I'm using MXF files, and they are a tad low-contrast. I brought up the contrast, but that didn't seem to help.

What might I be doing wrong?

Why do people insist on using Crummy-looking footage in AE?   Do they think "we'll fix it in post" bodes well for success?  Do they think AE works miracles or something?

They're not a "tad" low-contrast, they're awful!  Re-shoot if you can.  You haven't given yourself any kind of fighting chance at a good, clean key.  I'd google the terms, "lighting for green screen", "lighting for chroma key", etc.  You'll learn a lot.

If you can't re-shoot, use your workaround -- key the footage as best as you can, and use it as a track matte.

• 3. Re: Grainy After Effects Keylight
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The footage is a mess. It's going to be very difficult to pull a professional looking key from that footage. I would color grade as much as possible to try and separate the colors, pre-compose, then pull a key on the pre-comp, then use that for a track matte for the original footage if you end up having to foul up colors to get a decent key.