11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 7:54 PM by Roei Tzoref

how to prevent mask from shaking

PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

after rodobrushing out some object like a face with some movement, on a very still camera....its hard to then place that face into position of another person's head without having the face be shaky...how do i fix this?

• 1. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Stabilization tracking and pre-composing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
            PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

how would the stabilization work? using warp stabilizer doesnt do anything cause the camera itself is still, the face is moving so i have to do something that makes the face not move out of position and its a hard face to track cause its shifting/moving

• 3. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
              how would the stabilization work?

Warp stabilizer is one tool of many: that depends of how the face moves and if there is sufficient data for the point tracker to track.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/tracking-stabilizing-motion-cs5.html#track_or_ stabilize_motion_with_the_point_tracker

if it's more complex for for point tracking, do this through Mocha Ae:

• 4. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The right kind of stabilizing depends on the shot. For example:

Without seeing your footage the "perfect" solution is not that easy to come up with. The target in this shot could just as easily be another face.

• 5. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                  PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

im sorry guys but im still having trouble

heres a video of me explaining the exact problem im having: Twitch

for tracking using mocha, what do i do after i tracked the data and ive hit export tracking data....most tutorials i saw said to use the position scale and rotation option and then copy and paste that onto the mask created...but then what do i do afterwards because the goal is to make donald trump's head still, not just to track the motion of his head

• 6. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking

most tutorials i saw

what about the ones posted in this thread???

you used "Track motion" instead of "Stabilize motion" in Ae's Tracker, and in Mocha you need to reverse the motion via expressions - all of this was in the 2 tutorials I gave you. are you expecting to get it right fast and intuitively the first time you ever tracked a footage? these are unrealistic expectations especially if it's not that straightforward track like you have there.  watch the tutorials all the way through and practice.

• 7. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                      PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

sorry, in the video i used for a demonstration i used track motion, ive used stabilized motion as well though and yea the face seems to be stable when i add keyframes to it to match harry potter's face it becomes shaky, ill try this again though cause i think  when i initially did this i tracked donalds entire face instead of just the ear...and tracking just the ear might give more accuracy

yea i saw both of the videos u linked, the first 1 i actually saw earlier today when i was youtubing the problem

unfortunately ive looked at a lot of these tracking videos before so i usually just skim through till i get to the part i think will help

in the second video that talks about expressions when i saw it i didnt really understand how that worked and didnt see it in most of the tutorials ive looked at so i discarded that information but ill take a look again to see if i can get it

thanks for the help as always

• 8. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                        PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

a quick question i forgot to ask, when using motion tracking..i know people say it tracks "planar movement" or something..and i dont rly understand that....but when using Xsplines should i be placing them within the object(, right at the perimeter of the object(like in shape data for faces), or outside the object

cause ive seen them done differently, in the 2nd tutorial u linked me, the xsplines are placed outside the perimeter of the car, whereas in other tutorials like this 1Motion Tracking Tutorial - After Effects CC and Mocha - YouTube  he does it within the object

• 9. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                          so i usually just skim through till i get to the part i think will help

Don't. you are missing out important information so be patient and be thorough.

i didnt really understand how that worked and didnt see it in most of the tutorials ive looked at so i discarded that information

cause ive seen them done differently, in the 2nd tutorial u linked me, the xsplines are placed outside the perimeter of the car, whereas in other tutorials like this Motion Tracking Tutorial - After Effects CC and Mocha - YouTube  he does it within the object

anyone can make a tutorial. you can't expect all of them to be good. I gave you a good one. Mocha is not easy or intuitive to learn and you will have to study it from good and reliable authors. Imagineer Systems, the company behind it, has a youtube and vimeo channel you should look into those first. for Ae tracker watch anything from Lynda or the Adobe website. not youtube.  here are more resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/tracking-stabilizing-motion-cs5.html#resources _for_mocha_for_after_effects_mocha_ae

• 10. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking
                            PremiereNoobSigh Level 1

mm true, i do watch vids from lynda and adobe site, just depends what i find

unfortunately though its hard to find the perfect video

for instance that 2nd video u showed that tracks the car....hes using an older version of mocha where copy and pasting the export tracking data gives data for anchor point, position, scale, and rotation....and in the video he deletes the position data

in the mocha version i have, only position, scale, and rotation have data points...anchor points are left out...so from what i read, i need to check the "invert" box right before copying to clipboard but that still doesnt give me an anchor point and leads me lost as to what to do now

the official mocha videos on stabilization mostly seem to be using features that are only available with the full mocha version

part of the reason why asking on a forum like this can be so helpful is that the someone can know the specifics the my situation and give precise details of how to handle it....of course i could watch tons of videos out there on stabilization and eventually get it, but thats just an overload of information that wont be remembered...im just trying to figure out this specific problem, learn from this and move on

judging from that demonstration video ive shown that has my exact clip, what are the step by step procedures i need to do to stabilize his face using mocha, ive gotten the frame data and ive hit the invert box as well as copy and pasted it to my layer so that i have the keyframes for position, scale, and rotation....what exactly do i do next to get my head onto harry potter's head? if its an expression like u mentioned before, what command would i need to type knowing i have no anchorpoints to work with(due to problem i mentioned above)

again thanks for reading/helping

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: how to prevent mask from shaking

you wanna know something? I was used to using expressions to stabilize my shots from mocha or pasting to the anchor point instead of position that don't think I was aware of the invert feature. maybe I forgot about it! so thank you

this is what you do:

1. track the head in Mocha: use rotation,scale, position only.

2. if you track is solid you export the tracking data. click invert so you will get stabilization for all properties instead of motion tracking

3. in Ae you paste the information on the layer

001.gif

once you have it stabilized, you nest this comp in your composition where you put in on top of a static background. you do so so you could freely move it without accidently changing keyframes you already have for position. in certain workflow it could be a good idea to even pre-render this comp to make it easy for Ae to do further processing of whatever else you have there.

001.gif

1 person found this helpful