6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 7:43 PM by SuzC

LR displaying incorrect order files

SuzC Level 1

Hi, I'm a long term LR user and just purchased the Canon Mk IV body. I've noticed the files are displaying in the incorrect order. When I choose the option to display by file name or capture time, the photos are still wildly out of sequence. Is there a known bug? I couldn't find the answer in the forums.

• 1. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are you in a collection? Collections can be custom ordered.

What exact version of LR are you using?

A screen shot of the whole library module showing this Out of Order problem would help.

• 2. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files
            SuzC Level 1

Yes I'm in a collection,  but it doesn't change when I am not in a collection.

I'm using version 2015.7 update with the CC subscription Camera Raw 9.7 update.

The screenshot doesn't seem to work. I'm on an iMac and it's a png. Not sure if it accepts pngs here

• 3. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files

Select an image from your new Canon camera and select "All Photographs" in the Catalog section in the left hand panel (with one of those images selected it will have the focus when switching to the All Photographs option). Then select Sort: Capture time. Do they now appear in order?

Yes there is a slight bug in 2015.7/6.7 where the sort order gets confused. Doing as I stated above clears it up.

When importing make sure the Sort: in the import dialog window is set to Capture time. This may or may not help with the Library module display order.

• 4. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files
                SuzC Level 1

Sadly I have done this already. My hubby figured out that my new camera hadn't had the date and time set up. Plus when I imported, I changed the file names and it now means I am going to have to go back to square one and start a new catalogue and try again from scratch.

• 5. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files

Well there you go. I assumed you have the camera set correctly.

You should STOP creating New Catalogs. LR is designed to work with one catalog that has all your images imported into it. Instead of making new catalogs, for whatever reason, try using Keywords, collections and copy your image on import into Folders with specific names for the shoot you are on or whatever however you want to separate the images.

Having more than one catalog is totally counter productive to how LR is design to work.

You can change the Shoot date and time in LR so they will be in order. you can do that as a Batch process.

Google "Change Capture Time and Date in LR".

• 6. Re: LR displaying incorrect order files
                    SuzC Level 1

I used to create one catalogue per year and was finding it would slow down a lot, so went to individual catalogues and have found it works very well for me. I do use a single catalogue for personal use.