8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 10:53 AM by Dave LaRonde

Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?

Karel Bata Level 1

Anyone here had much success with building a Hackintosh and running AE on it?

I'm in the UK, and have built several PCs, then six years ago moved over to Macs and loved it! But recently, as I hardly need to say here, Apple have let us down with the hardware... Badly. I do a lot of Stereo3D editing, After Effects graphics and post, and want to move into 4K and VR.

I'm looking at this machine as a potential basis for a build - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/storks-gene-build-asus-maximus-viii-gene-i5-6600k-gigab yte-gtx-950.181272/

I'm most worried about the graphics card. I could spend a lot on a top-of-the-range(ish) one and then find I've got probs. I would rather go with something not so ambitious and be certain of its reliability. The problem with that site is that a lot of people use it to build one and never return.

Has anyone here done this? Any advice to offer?

• 1. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, I've got some advice: screw the Hackintosh.  Just go with a PC  Fewer problems that way.

You're building this machine for video production work, right?  Not for personal enjoyment, right?  Then give yourself the best chance possible!

Go get yourself a Macbook or something if you're that in love with the OS.  Use it for the other stuff you do.

• 2. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
            Fabio Pis Level 1

Hi, you can build  very powerful Hackintosh If you have time and patient

But same hardware means 25% worst performance if you are using after effects or premiere

In my case I have the chance to try two different configurations with xeon Cpu V3/v4 18 cores /22 cores

In El Capitan all is working perfectly as a real Mac only faster

In macOS Sierra same original Mac problems with adobe products

you can follow on insanely Mac forum different users with different CPU stories

I agree also with David La Ronde thoughts ...too many risks if you have to use it in professional environment

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
              Karel Bata Level 1

So the answer is migrate to Windows..?

Hm. What I could do is build a machine that dual boots into both and take it from there (back to computing as a hobby!).

Still  a bit stuck on the wisest option for a GPU. Here's the list they provide, but they're just going by spec rather than trying out Adobe products - https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2016#Graphics_Cards

Ah, just noticed - "these cards will only work with OS X Yosemite and El Capitan" I'd like to also boot into Mavericks. Well, of course if these work well I can leave Mavericks behind, but if they don't I'd like the option to go back to what works.

Damn, it's already getting messy...

• 4. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
                Fabio Pis Level 1

In my case I have a dual system with different OS (windows/Sierra ) and a spare external sata disk with El Capitan

But If you don't have time to spend in trying or to follow forum and others experiences, maybe it is safe to buy a real Mac or do your job in windows

In my experience if you have patient you can build a nearly perfect system (in my case a top xeon cpu and a top GPU like "old" Titan X

In a near past I have had also two titan z working on mavericks (useful with some cuda color correction software)

But it is a no a on and go solution, and as I said before, same hardware produces better performance on windows

Other story is that a new Mac Pro 2013 is limited to a 12 core xeon CPU and with an Hackintosh you can use latest CPU and x99 platform... and so on

• 5. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
                  Karel Bata Level 1

Thanks Fabio.

All good stuff. Whatever route I take I build a machine.

Do you think it would be possible to put in two GPUs - one for Yosemite, and the other for Mavericks - and have the relevant boot option select which card it uses on boot-up? The Mavericks-compatible one would be relatively cheap.

• 6. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
                    Fabio Pis Level 1

If you choose Nvidia graphic card you have a good support with web Nvidia drivers till Maxwell generation chip(Pascal not supported for now)

So I don't know the reason to have 2 different GPU in your system, but it is possible

Cuda are used from both if you have two compatible gpu

Obviously no SLI solution is working on OSX

• 7. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
                      Karel Bata Level 1

One would be from the recommeended list https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2016#Graphics_Cards  and "these cards will only work with OS X Yosemite and El Capitan" so the other card would be for Mavericks. This would mean a dedicted boot manager. More learning curve...

Maybe I should wait to see what Apple launches in a week, but I'm worried the pound will slip down further. In fact I'm certain it will!

Hell, it's only a week. I'm sure it'll be a disappointment though - Apple is more interested in the iPhone.

• 8. Re: Anyone using AE on Hackintosh?
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Karel Bata wrote:

Maybe I should wait to see what Apple launches in a week, but I'm worried the pound will slip down further. In fact I'm certain it will!

Hell, it's only a week. I'm sure it'll be a disappointment though - Apple is more interested in the iPhone.

Yet you refuse to give up on a Mac OS.  Amazing.