9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2016 7:30 AM by mk_in_ca

Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes

mk_in_ca Level 1

LightRoom Mobile consistently crashes on both my tablet and slightly less so on my phone.  My initial workflow is to flag each photo in my ~27,000 photo collection which is currently organized into collections by year.  The largest collection has about 4,000 photos.  Each device has only a couple of collections synced for offline use.  The source photos have been mostly Sony RAW, but also include older/smaller jpgs and some TIFF photos.

• The crash results in the app closing with "Lightroom Android Unexpectedly Quit".  I have sent at least a dozen crash reports via Android collection.
      • LR only occasionally offers to report crash data to Adobe.  I have done so on every time but still wonder why LR ask me only sometimes.
      • The crashes are always preceded by lags and then video artifacts such as missing filmstrip thumbnails [only visible on tablet?], garbled thumbnails and then total unresponsiveness.  Attached are two screen shots of LR before two different crashes.  One was online, one was offline.
      • When the crashes occur, the device memory is not exhausted and there are no other background processes.  CPU usage does seem to spike before LR fails.
      • The crashes occur both online or offline and both with and without collections that have been downloaded for offline editing. 
      • LR did not recover [it just hung] from one particular crash on my tablet which required me to remove all data, uninstall, restart and reinstall.  It still crashes.
      • LR will crash after flagging every 100 or so photos or every ~10 minutes.
      • It seems to crash more frequently after cropping.   
      • The collection size doesn't seem to matter.  Even a small collection of 160 photos has crashed dozens of time while editing.
      • The Tablet crashed more often when using the SD card and is currently using internal memory and still crashes often. 
      • The phone seems to crash less often though I admittedly use the tablet significantly more often for LR as the screen is larger.
      • My tablet has never crashed on any app, even with resource intensive, high frame rate video.

My devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Android version

Open GL version

["Device Information" is missing from LR menu?]

LR version2.
      storage performance

internal:  201MB/s | 26MB/s [currently using]

SD card: 36.8MB/s | 11.3MB/s

internal: 337MB/s | 49.1MB/s

SD card: 51.3MB/s | 15.9MB/s [currently using]

Pretty please Adobe, fix this.  Moving to the LR suite has allowed me to take control of my photos.  Using LR mobile allows me to work on my album from anywhere and it really is fantastic - when it works!  Send your QA team to their local computer store to buy a Tab S2!

• 1. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
          mk_in_ca Level 1

I was working offline this evening, flagging photos using my tablet off a fresh restart.  Sure enough, about 100 photos in, Lightroom crashed and exited.  No problem, I thought - just another crash.  I'll just restart the app and continue on.  Unfortunately, Lightroom never showed any images again.  It would show all my collections [including counts] and if I selected a collection, it would even give me a breakdown by month, but no thumbnails and no pictures.  Restarting my tablet did not resolve it.  Clearing the application cache [Application Info / Storage / Clear Cache] did not resolve it.  I had to "Clear Data", sign in and start syncing my tablet all over again once I had WiFi access.  Below is screen shot of what the collection looked like after the 'bad crash'.  [The stats at the top is another app that tells me the CPU, IO, network IO, memory.  The crashes happen with and without this app running.  I waited several minutes and there was no system activity.]

Still on the train, without WiFi, I decided to use my phone to flag photos in 2 different collections that i had synced.  Sadly, I only got through a couple of dozen before Lightroom crashed on my S7 Edge.  This is what I saw after Lightroom became unresponsive and before it aborted:

Very frustrating!

• 2. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
            mk_in_ca Level 1

Here is a screenshot of another crash that just happened.  This is after:

• deleting all data
            • deleting cache
            • restarting tablet
            • signing in to Lightroom Mobile; setting storage to SD [since it didn't seem to make a difference using internal memory]
            • syncing one collection for offline editing
            • restarting tablet
            • flagging ~40 photos; no other actions - just flagging

The stats at the top indicate: plenty of available memory, low CPU usage, no network activity and little system IO.  This crash was a bit different in that it was not a hard crash but had the spinning swirl for a while before Android offer to wait or close the unresponsive app.

Lightroom worked immediately after restarting it, without having to restart the tablet or delete the application data which I've had to do 3 times in the 2 weeks since I've signed up with Adobe Lightroom.

Should I open a ticket with Adobe directly?  Are there any other logs or data that I can provide to help engineers troubleshoot or isolate the issue?

• 3. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
              mandad159 Level 1

I also have this problem on an NVidia Shield K1 tablet.  For a while, I had exactly the symptoms described in this post, with visual glitches and slowdowns leading to an eventual crash after flipping through and rating pictures.  Now, after more recently synchronizing more offline photos, it freezes almost immediately after opening so that I cannot use the app at all.  Very frustrating as I just spent a long time syncronizing offline photos over a slow internet connection.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                mk_in_ca Level 1

mandad159, sorry to hear your've having troubles but it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

I'm fairly confident that I have isolated the Lightroom Mobile on Android bugs to two features.

The first is filters.  Don't use them!  Instead, "Show All".   In my initial workflow [first pass of my whole collection, one year at a time, to remove duplicates, out-of-focus and other duds], I was viewing "Unflagged" only.  The filter allowed me to easily select the photos that needed processing, but unfortunately, it was responsible for crashing.

The second, is thumbnails.  Don't use them!  Available only on my tablet, it too triggered the video artifacts and ultimately crashed Lightroom Mobile.

Since not using thumbnails or filters, I've successfully flagged hundreds of photos without crashing.  I will note that the app can become slower and less responsive after flagging hundreds of photos in a session and that I could alleviate this by exiting the collection and re-entering it.  Nearly all of this testing has been on my Samsung tablet and not my phone [where thumbnails aren't available anyways].

I've tried flagging photos with thumbnails but without filters - it crashes. 

I've tried flagging photos without thumbnails and with filters - it crashes.

I also discovered a trick to recover Lightroom Mobile when it opens but never shows any images [it'll only show collections and collection counts without any thumbnails or images].  Move it to another storage medium [SD or internal, depending on where the crash occurred.].  It can be a long process, but it's still faster than deleting all and re-downloading everything.

Since there was no response from Adobe on this forum, I've opened a case with them and referred them to this thread.  Hopefully we'll see some results now that the issues are more isolated and reproduceable.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                  Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Mkinca and Mandad,

Please send us the Diagnostics log(via Private message).

You can trigger  "Diagnostics Report" from Lr mobile,

• Long-press the top left LR icon within the Lightroom mobile settings.
                  • After that LR mobile generates a diagnostic log and opens this up within your e-mail client.

@Mkinca You wrote:-

The crash results in the app closing with "Lightroom Android Unexpectedly Quit".  I have sent at least a dozen crash reports via Android collection.

Please post the same crash report via Pm to me.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                    mk_in_ca Level 1

Hi Akash,

In regards to the diagnostics log, can you tell me under what conditions you want me to generate it?  After a fresh restart?  When the Lightroom Mobile starts to act slow?  Will it still report meaningful data after a restart or is it critical to capture data before it crashes?  Does it matter if I'm in the middle of syncing collections for offline use (white noise)?

In regards to the crash report, I have no control over where it is sent nor do I have visibility of the report.  There seems to be 2 types of crash report collection:  Google Play (I'm asked if I want to report it each time LightRoom Mobile crashes) and LightRoom Mobile (where I'm asked once out of every 7 or so crashes).

• 7. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                      Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the update.

Generate the crash report when Lr mobile start acting up slowly.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                        mk_in_ca Level 1

Generated a "diagnostics report" when LightRoom Mobile started to not display thumbails and images.

I triggered it after flagging a couple dozen photos with thumbnails enabled and I did not use filters.

I messaged you the link to the file.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Mobile on Android - frequently crashes
                          mk_in_ca Level 1

I captured another diagnostics report and sent Akash a link to it.  Leading up to the capture from my tablet, I did the following:

1. Used LightRoom Moble last night to flag and crop some photos - it worked fine without "thumbail preview" or "filters".
                          2. Left LightRoom Mobile running overnight while it synced 3 collections [1738, 161 and 669 photos in each].  The tablet had wifi access and was charging.
                          3. Started LightRoom while offline - thumbnails were missing.
                          4. Restarted the LightRoom app - thumbnails were missing.
                          5. Restarted the tablet and then Lightroom - thumbnails missing.
                          6. Captured diagnostics report.

• No thumbnails were shown for several minutes.  There was both CPU and IO [reading/writing from internal storage] activity.
                          • Eventually, only some of the thumbnails showed on the collections screen [see below].
                          • Thumbnails were missing from the 3 offline collections.  The full size were missing too, only for some photos.
                          • Another restart did not correct it, even with WiFi.  I still see a list of all my collections, but only some have thumbnails both in the main screen and within collections.

So, now I'm online and can't get LightRoom to work. At all.  I then tried the "Copying to a new storage location", moving internal memory to my SD card trick.  After a long wait, it completed but still showed missing thumbails and the ones that were visible were different than the screen shot above.  Then, the tablet froze and restarted!  Thumbails still missing after that, even with WiFi.

In addition to the tablet woes, my Samsung S7 Edge completely froze while syncing flagged photos over WiFi last night.  This is not the first time it happened on that device using LightRoom Mobile.  I wasn't able to power cycle it either - the clock on the lock screen simply froze and after about 15 minutes, the device restarted by itself.  My S7 Edge has never froze until using LightRoom Mobile.

I'm going to delete the app and start all over again.