11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2016 2:12 PM by Steve Grisetti

Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?

Fabio Colasanti Level 1

I have used PE from 3 to 10 over many years.   I have now bought a new computer and installed on it PE 14.   I have edited my first holiday video but I cannot burn it to a DVD.   I am always blocked by a "transcoding error".  

My operating system is Windows 7 Professional, version 6.1.   I have an Intel i7-6700K processor, plenty of RAM (32 GB) and on the hard disk where the programs are installed (Disk C)  I have more than 300 GB of free space   Finally, I have a burner Asus BW 16D 1HT.

Every time, the burning process was blocked by a "transcoding error" after 31 per cent of the job, 10 per cent, 41 per cent, 1 per cent and 11 per cent.   After five attempts I gave up.

What can I do?  How do I burn my videos?

Fabio

• 1. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is your video?

How long is your video project?

What are your Project Settings? (You'll find them under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements.)

Do you have Quicktime 7, per the program's requirements? (As you install Quicktime, you can opt out of installing the Quicktime Player --but you do need the other Quicktime  components in order for the program to be fully functional.)

Transcoding errors can also be caused by things like having blank spots with no video on your timeline and having a Stop Marker at the end of your movie. But let's explore the basics first.

• 2. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
            Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

1.   My camera is a Sony HDR PJ810, I have used it for a year and I have edited and burned more than 10 DVDs on my previous computer using PE 10 without problems.

2.   My videos are all around an hour, but with the previous versions of PE I have edited and burned around twenty per year without problems.

3.   I did not have Quicktime 7, I have installed it, rebooted the computer, tried again and got a "transcoding error" when 27 per cent of the burning job was done.

4. Projects Settings

General   Frame size 1920 x 1080   Title safe area 20% and 20 %   Action Safe area 10% and 10%

Capture Format        WDM capture

Video rendering    Maximum Bit Depth    Off    Optimizing stills   On

5   I have checked the project and I could not find any blank.   I have never inserted any Stop Marker

6.   I have loaded a project I had edited and burned successfully and without problems in PE10 and it blocked with a transcoding error after 25 per cent of the burning project.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Fabio

• 3. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
              Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

an additional piece of information regarding the Projects Settings.

The display format is set at 30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Fabio

• 4. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
                Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

I forgot to mention the format of the files.    They are m2ts

But I have used these files for over fine years, also with my previous camera and I have never had problems in PE 10.

Thanks again,

Fabio

• 5. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?

There does not seem to be any obvious issues with your setup.

Are you able to output an MP4 of your project using Export & Share/Devices/Computer/1920x1080?

BTW, have you Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment lately? I know you've got plenty of space on your hard drive, but those drives do get cluttered with little fragments that can bug up large file creation.

• 6. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
                    Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

I am working with a brand new tower that wad installed a couple of weeks ago.   So I do not think that there is problem with a possible fragmentation of the disk.

I have been able to burn the project as an AVCHD disk.   It took ages, I needed a double layer disk, but it worked.

The fact that I get transcoding errors with the projects I have tried to burn to a disk suggests a problem on incompatibility between some programs rather that defects in the file.   Alternatively, there could problems in passing from PE 10 to PE 14.   Both projects were initiated with PE 10 and then further edited in PE 14.

I am trying to output the MP4 as you suggested.   To operation is under way.   I'll let you know if it works.

Fabio

• 7. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
                      Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

The MP4 file has been generated correctly.

Fabio

• 8. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?

Try starting a new project. Put the MP4 you just generated on the timeline, add some markers and menu and see if you can output a DVD ISO from that.

BTW, new computers have ALL KINDS OF FRAGMENTATION, since the process of setting up an operating system and configuring a system throws random files everything. Whenever I install an operating system, I always follow up with a cleanup and defrag.

• 9. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
                          Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

I'll do the clean up and make the attempt you suggest.   I'll let you know how it goes.

Thnaks,

Fabio

• 10. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?
                            Fabio Colasanti Level 1

Steve,

I have cleaned up and defragmented the hard disk.   I then attempted to burn a DVD and was blocked by a “transcoding error” after 9 per cent of the “encoding media” routine.   I then burned the project as an AVCHD disk and operation went through without a hitch.

But I have noticed something else.   In PE 10, I used to burn “DVDs” and these would turn out to be in the same format as my original files (16/9 format).   In PE 14, if I burn an AVCHD disk, I am offered the possibility of burning it in the 16/9 format, but, if I want to burn a DVD disk, I am offered two SD options which are both wrong: 720x576 or 720x480.   This means that even if I could overcome the “transcoding errors” problem, burning DVD disks would not be the right thing to do.   What has changed between the two versions of the program?

I have another small question.   It seems to me that PE 14 has lost a feature I was using frequently.   Most of my disks are burned without a menu (they are about a trip and there is little sense in breaking the story up).   But I used to insert automatically “scene markers” every two or three minutes depending on the size of the project.   These markers were very helpful in case I wanted to move rapidly through the disk.   PE 14 offers the possibility to insert markers automatically only if you add a menu. If this is indeed the case, it would a pity.   Is there another way of inserting the markers without adding a menu?   I have played around with the button “Markers” on the left of the screen, but I could not find anything.

Many thanks for your help.

Fabio

• 11. Re: Who can help with "Transcoding errors" in PE14  ?

That's a lot of questions, Fabio. Let's see of anyone has any answers for you.