5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 8:03 AM by Roei Tzoref

Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?

Epiqt

Hey guys!

I am trying to apply a Bulge effect to the bottom of a glass shot on green screen. When applying the tracking information from the shot to the adjustment layer I can see the adjustment layer moving but the Bulge effect (which is applied to the adjustment layer) stays in the centre of the frame.

Has anyone come across this problem before and knows a work around? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if you need more info please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,

Ben

• 1. Re: Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          I can see the adjustment layer moving but the Bulge effect (which is applied to the adjustment layer) stays in the centre of the frame.

you need to apply the tracking data to the bulge center, not the adjustment layer's position. you see, you are moving an adjustment layer, which is a layer that affects the composite of all layers underneath, but the effect stays in place. move the adjustment layer and you are just moving the affected area, you are not moving the effect.

• 2. Re: Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?
            Epiqt Level 1

Cheers man! I am just using the basic Tracker tool, how do I make the Bulge effect my Motion Target?

• 3. Re: Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Select the layer/ effects control in the timeline before entering the tracking tool and then pick it from within the tracker's target pop-up.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?
                Epiqt Level 1

You are unable to select the layer/effects control when using the Tracking tool. But I have managed to fix the problem!

For anyone that finds this thread with a similar problem:

Create an expression on the effect anchor point by selecting it in the timeline and press Alt + Shift + =

Use the pick whip from the expression to select the position control on your Null Object

In the text box that appears in the timeline add " value+ " to the beginning

Drag your effect into position and voila!

Cheers for the replies and happy creating everyone! ^^

• 5. Re: Adjustment Layer + Bulge effect won't follow Motion Tracking?
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                  You are unable to select the layer/effects control when using the Tracking tool.

sure you can, but it has to be on the same layer and not the adjustment layer

if you want the tracker to apply to the bulge center in an adjustment layer then just copy paste the attach point to the bulge center

Create an expression on the effect anchor point by selecting it in the timeline and press Alt + Shift + =

Use the pick whip from the expression to select the position control on your Null Object

In the text box that appears in the timeline add " value+ " to the beginning

Drag your effect into position and voila!

I am not sure exactly what this setup looks like. what is "effect anchor point"? did you apply the tracking to the position? you probably are making this more complicated than it really is. you can also pick whip the effect bulge center to the position of the null, if you applied the tracking data, but this is unnecessary.