8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 8:00 AM by ghughes78

Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!

ghughes78

Hi

I been using CS6 with no issues at all on my Mac (10.11.6), until coming into work Tuesday morning booting up and launching Indesign to be greeted with 'Indesign Quit Unexpectedly with a crash report'.  Launched it again and back to another crash report, it seems to be going through start up, gets to 'start up panels' you briefly get a start window to open/create etc then drops out to crash report.  This application was working fine at the close of play Monday, now all my creative suits packages crash including photoshop.  Help??  It's forcing me to use MS Word Arrrrrrrrr!

Glen.

• 1. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS6, as pointed out in countless threads here, is not supported under El Capitan or Sierra. If trashing preferences doesn't help, I'm afraid you're on your own.

Alternatives are rolling back to an earlier operating system or upgrading to Creative Cloud.

• 2. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
            ghughes78 Level 1

Hi Bob

Wow - that crazy! It's been working on El Capitan for ages no issues!  So Adobe won't help with support, point you to here and only to find out its a common fault and your on your tod - great customer service from Adobe!  Haven't got the funds to upgrade so now have to roll back my operating system to run a piece of software less that 3 years old's now thats progress.

Tried trashing the pref with the keyboard shortcut, tried logging in under a test account same issue.  Has no one else got any other solutions?

Cheers

Glen.

• 3. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CS6 is more than 4 years old and no, it will get no support nor will ever be updated again.

I’m sorry you’re having issues but upgrading an operating system without checking with the software publishers as far as compatibility is not a very wise thing to do.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
                AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Try deleting the cache, which holds the temporary INDD files that ID tries to resurrect after a crash. Sometimes they're so munged that ID never gets a chance to put up the alert "some files were damaged during the last crash. Should I try to recover them" and instead goes into an endless crash loop. Very aggravating, and has been a problem w/ID for many years.

The cache is in your User > Library > Caches > Adobe InDesign folder. You'll have a subfolder there for every version of InDesign you've run on the machine. CC 2015 is "version 11.0". Delete the entire "version 11.0" folder and its contents, just move it to the trash.

Start InDesign again. When it doesn't find a cache folder, it creates a default one when it boots up. If the problem was a damaged temp file in your cache, this routine should solve the problem.

AM

• 5. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
                  liamcoded

Hi AnneMarie, perhaps you can help me also.

I have the same problem but with entire CS6 suite. In “Caches“ folder there is no such folder. There are only:

Macintosh HD>Users>iMonolith>Library>Caches

>Adobe

>Adobe Camera Raw

>com.adobe.air.ApplicationInstaller

>com.adobe.crashreporter

>com.adobe.illustrator

>com.adobe.PDApp

Adobe CS6 worked just fine until yesterday. I am on El Capitan.

• 6. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
                    liamcoded Level 1

As he pointed out it worked fine up until now on that same OS. A bit odd that it would just stop working and Apple had no recent updates of any kind. That leaves only Adobe.

• 7. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

El Capitan was never supported. If it did run, he could be happy. But because of silent updates, which the users are unaware of, the possibility to use it might stop. As these changes are done from Apple, you should claim there, it's not the fault on Adobe's side.

• 8. Re: Mac CS6 Indesign Keeps Crashing on Start Up - Help!
                        ghughes78 Level 1

Hi - I have been through it all with Adobe Support over 3 days of remote access and looking trying all sorts, cleaning etc.  It is also my entire Design Suite that no longer works all crash out.  To be honest the adobe support tech was fab, viewing what he was trying to do etc In the end is seems it's an operating system fault or files that have been deleted on missing from maybe a recent update.  Uninstalled my Design Suite to re-install but the re-install wouldn't even go on and crashed out even with adobe install manager.  All Adobe systems checked out ok so much be a operating system.  Looks like a full factory reset - best go and back my hard drive up.  Even If i update my CS Suite it may not go on due to operating system fault so either was I'm going to have to roll back my operating system and then update.  What a faff!  now I'm stuck with me Design Suite and instead MS Office - kill me now!

Glen