4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 7:39 AM by David Briard

Lightroom Tether sample?

David Briard

Hi everyone,

I am interested in creating a tether plugin for Lightroom and I am wondering if there is a sample source code for this?

Thanks in advance for any help,

David

• 1. Re: Lightroom Tether sample?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The SDK doesn't provide public APIs for writing a tether plugin that works with LR's File > Tethered Capture commands, so I don't think you'll find sample code for that. 

But Fujifilm sells such a plugin that works with some of its cameras: Fujifilm X-T1 tutorial: how to shoot tethered to Lightroom for Mac • owen billcliffe photography. I'm guessing that either they had Adobe's help in using non-public APIs or they reversed engineered such.

It would be possible to use the SDK to write a plugin that provides similar functionality as built-in tethering, but with its own user interface rather than the File > Tethered Captured commands.  Depending on the camera, it might require doing the low-level communication using a utility written in C or similar.  I've considered writing such a plugin for Sony cameras; since the Sony camera SDK uses restful HTTP, I think it's at least plausible you could write a plugin entirely within Lua using the SDK.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom Tether sample?
            David Briard Level 1

Thank you for your reply John!

Too bad that the API is not public. I would have been interested to write a plugin for my Pentax K-3II as Pentax release a plugin but only for K-1 and 645Z.

After a quick search, I found a plugin that autoimport image by watching a folder. I suppose this is the way to go... but I am disappointed to not be able to use the LR system.

Thx anyway!

• 3. Re: Lightroom Tether sample?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              I found a plugin that autoimport image by watching a folder.

LR also has auto import built-in -- see File > Auto Import.  That may meet your needs.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lightroom Tether sample?
                David Briard Level 1

Looks interesting! Thanks a lot!