5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 11:54 AM by CAR141

Lightroom import formats

CAR141 Level 1

Is there any way to import photos to a year-month format such as 2016-09? With the dash between year and month.  I'm wanting a folder structure of Year-Month and not the Month in a subfolder under year.

2016-01

2016-02

etc.

and not

etc.

I'm considering rearranging folders from within LR where it is possible to set up a Year-Month format (2016-01 for example) but when importing new photos using Move the format choices I've tried all use the year with month as a subfolder.

• 2. Re: Lightroom import formats
          CAR141 Level 1

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the previous discussions which were linked to the How to create a custom folders date format during import ? | Lightroom Forums  suggested by dj_Paige. I'm a little ignorant or maybe nervous when it comes to some of these hacks but thanks to all those who contributed to the various above linked discussion pages I was able to set up the format Year-Month that I wanted to use when importing into Lightroom. Below is the step by step procedure which worked for me.

1. Close Lightroom

2. Go to Windows > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Lightroom  > Resources  > en  If en is not there create the en folder under Resources and then select that folder.

3. Open Notepad and create a new file. Paste in this line with the straight, not curly, quote marks into the notepad file

"$$$/AgImportDialog/ShootArrangement_11/Template=%Y-%m"

4. Save the notepad file into the en folder at the location shown above

5. Open Lightroom.  Select photos you want to import. In Destination /Organize select By date from the drop down menu.  In the Date Format drop down menu check the Year-Month format which appears as 2016-10 or some Year-month combination. Click the Import button. Your photos will be in the 2016-10 folder.

I assume that after the next update of Lightroom all this will have to be repeated unless Adobe would be so kind as to add the Year-Month format to their drop down Date Format menu.  It's also possible that Adobe might do something that will make this not work at all in future updates.

Now I have another question which maybe should be in a new discussion or maybe has already been answered: Do the different date formats influence how fast or how slowly Lightroom operates when importing or editing files?

• 3. Re: Lightroom import formats
            CAR141 Level 1

Noticed I left out something. In step 4 save the notepad file with the name TranslatedStrings.txt

• 4. Re: Lightroom import formats
              dj_paige Level 9

Now I have another question which maybe should be in a new discussion or maybe has already been answered: Do the different date formats influence how fast or how slowly Lightroom operates when importing or editing files?

No effect at all.

Why do you ask?

• 5. Re: Lightroom import formats
                CAR141 Level 1

Just curious. Thanks.