4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 10:42 AM by olivac44

Premiere Pro Sequence Bit-Depth in After Effects...

olivac44 Level 1

I understand that Premiere Pro can ingest 16-bit media, but can only deliver in 10-bit. However, as we know, After Effects can output up to 32-bit.

I have 16-bit DPX sequences that I relinked to an EDL in Premiere Pro. Essentially my main sequence is still a bunch of clips on a timeline as opposed to one long DPX sequence. Ideally, I'd like to maintain the bit-depth as I'm ultimately going to DCP and would also like a DPX master of the entire film.

Can I dynamic-link to the Premiere Pro sequence from After Effects and maintain the original bit-depth? Or does Ae automatically bring it in as 10-bit as Premiere Pro outputs as such?

I'm not quite sure if the footage automatically translates to 10-bit when ingested in Premiere Pro or only during output.

Why bring it into Premiere Pro, in the first place? Well, as far as I know, After Effects doesn't take EDLs. I still had to relink my sequence in Premiere.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Sequence Bit-Depth in After Effects...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You're still using the Premiere renderer and it will not allow to output anything other than it supports. Even if that weren't an issue, you'd still have to worry about color space issues depending on LUTs, color profiles and sequence/ preview settings. If you want 16bit, you have to work natively in AE and replace your layers on the timeline with the original DPX sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Sequence Bit-Depth in After Effects...
            olivac44 Level 1

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the response!

Too bad After Effects doesn't take EDLs! It'd be great to bring in graded footage to master/finish.

Guess I'm stuck with 10-bit.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Sequence Bit-Depth in After Effects...
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Too bad After Effects doesn't take EDLs! It'd be great to bring in graded footage to master/finish.

if you use Lumetri or standard color correction effects then you can copy paste your sequence to Ae, or use import premiere sequence, and you will get your grading in a 16-bit or 32-bit environment.. this replaces to automatic duck that we used to have to import EDL if my memory serves me right. but can't imagine why you would want to have all your edits in Ae, and not work shot by shot and close your project in Premiere? if the shot requires 32 bit or 16 bit then work by shot and render 8 or 10 bit.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Sequence Bit-Depth in After Effects...
                olivac44 Level 1

The sequence was graded in Baselight and returned to me as DPX images. So the grade is done, I just need to master. But I wanted to preserve the bit-depth.

I'd rather not find all the in/outs and essentially "re-edit" the piece in Ae. Hence the EDL.

I can stick with 10-bit in Premiere. It's no big deal.