6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 2:12 PM by Grohacke

Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop

Grohacke

In short:

How do I transport editing metadata that I created in LR mobile to my desktop? I cannot seem to find an answer in the FAQs.

And I'd really like to sync the metadata only. The RAWs and JPGs can stay where they are.

Use case iIn detail:

When I travel, I like to transfer many of the better shots from my camera to my iPad from time to time. I then often do some first edits on these photos - especially as the memory of how the real-life colors and lighting looked is then still fresh. At home, using LR on my (non-Mac) desktop, I'd like to import ONLY the editing data like white balance adjustments, contrast, etc. from my iPad to my desktop. The photos themselves should not be moved, as I do not trust their import to the iPad to be lossless.

In this context:

I do not understand, why most "sync" activities that I find documented, focus on the other way round: syncing photos to the mobile device. My experience and way of working makes the described other way round much more important. And usually mobile devices do not even have enough disk space to cope with a general synchronization of large collections...

• 1. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using Lightroom CC - ie the subscription method?

• 2. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
            Grohacke Level 1

Yes, LR CC Version 2015.7, Camera Raw 9.7

• 3. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
              Jim Wilde Level 5

What you are looking for should in fact happen automatically....provided you have sync enabled. So I guess the question is, how exactly do you "transfer many of the better shots from my camera to my iPad from time to time"?

The normal procedure is to select, on your desktop, the photos that you want to edit on your iPad, put them into a collection, then enable that collection to sync with LRmobile. LR on the desktop then creates smart previews of those selected images, and uploads them to the Adobe servers, and from there they'll be downloaded to your iPad into the LRmobile application. Key here is that both LR Desktop and LRmobile must be logged into the same Adobe account. From there you can make whatever changes you wish to the images on the iPad, and those changes are automatically synced back to LR Desktop and applied to the relevant images. Of course, after making the changes on the iPad you have to leave LRmobile active until those changes are synced (but as it's only metadata, it shouldn't take long).

Regarding your context comment, it's fair to say that the initial focus with LRmobile was to facilitate syncing from Desktop to iDevice, though much of the recent changes have focused on a reverse flow, with the ability to capture or import raw images into LRmobile, which then sync back to the desktop.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
                Grohacke Level 1

That's very helpful, Jim. Thanks!

My very personal most frequent use case is still a little different, though:

- I shoot photos with a non-WiFi camera.

- While travelling, I transfer them to the iPad with an SD-card adapter.

- I then make some first edits (and sometimes upload first edited versions to Facebook and/or Instagram)

- My final versions, however, I do create at my desktop PC.

=> Is there a way to transfer these edits that I have made BEFORE the photos have ever been on my PC and thus handled by my "LR master version"? Transfer them from iPad to PC?

• 5. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
                  Jim Wilde Level 5

Grohacke wrote:

=> Is there a way to transfer these edits that I have made BEFORE the photos have ever been on my PC and thus handled by my "LR master version"? Transfer them from iPad to PC?

Assuming you add the images to LRmobile after importing them from the SD card onto your iPad, the same syncing process applies, i.e. if you keep the LRmobile app open, all the newly imported photos (edited or not) will be uploaded to Adobe's servers, and then back down to your desktop when you next start Lightroom. The only significant difference is that the full original file is synced to the desktop, not a smart preview. Get it setup correctly, and the whole process is relatively seamless.

• 6. Re: Get Metadata FROM mobile TO desktop
                    Grohacke Level 1

Thanks. It seems I really just have not read up on the syncing functions properly. And I should be working with collections, rather than just importing folders from my harddrive and using these folder structures ; ))