9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 6:22 AM by Chunick

Director 11 Bug in Project

tculley
      Directory has had a bug in it's projector since it's launch. Have notified Adobe but to no avail. When you package a project for fullscreen and then open a movie in a window, minimize _player.appMinimize, or launch a browser window the title in the projector windows get truncated to the 1st character.

So if the title of your project was "Nike Cross Traininer" it will get truncated to "N" in the task bar, in the window title, and when you ALT-TAB.

Anyone know of a workaround to this issue, adobe does not want to release a fix. This functionality worked in all previous versions of Director and now they've introduced this bug. Very annoying when i complete a project and the client says why is our product name keep getting truncated, and i have to say because its a bug in Adobe software and there is nothing i or you can do about it.

thanks to let me know,
      todd
        • 1. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
          Level 7
          > Anyone know of a workaround to this issue

It's been reported previously, and AFAIK there's no work-around
          • 2. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
            Level 7
            Hi,

maybe stupid, but can you not just set/reset the window title?

Richard

• 3. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
              tculley Level 1
              I tried doing that initially 6 mos. ago and have been pleading with Adobe to please fix this issue over & over. I have lots of projects and this has been killing me. I have already been developing mostly in flash now and package in director.
              Being able to write code natively in flash and use director's callback functions means i don't have to have dependant code in flash for some other packaging app. I drop my swfs in director, html, or anyother host and not worry about coding different versions of flash for different hosts or writing different classes to deal with the host environent.
              But not being able to support as3 and this title bug are two of my biggest issues.

I have noticed that when i use BuddyAPI's baURL function that upon returning focus to my director app the title will be fixed when ALT-TABBING but not fixed on the bottom task bar, until the director app is minimized again or another window is opened it kills whatever baURL fixed.

Todd
              • 4. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                Level 7
                > I have noticed that when i use BuddyAPI's baURL function that upon
                > returning focus to my director app the title will be fixed when
                > ALT-TABBING but not fixed on the bottom task bar, until the director
                > app is minimized again or another window is opened it kills whatever
                > baURL fixed.

If you're using BuddyAPI, then you could try

baSetWindowTitle(baWinHandle(), "Your Program Name")

Andrew

• 5. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                  Level 7
                  You have several things against you. Software developers/companies most
                  likely fix bugs that are on a priority list, I'm guessing, those that are
                  communicated the most. As important as this fix might be to you, there
                  might not be enough reports of this one to warrant a patch. Patches/bug
                  fixes are very expensive and don't we all wish they'd fix things just for
                  you or me.

Second, and probably more significant is that Director, no matter how you
                  try to look at it, just isn't getting the attention from Adobe anymore.
                  It's a dying product from a marketing perspective and they're not going to
                  put any more $$ into a product than they absolutely have to so that they can
                  still make a profit on it from a shrinking customer base.

I don't think the fact that Director isn't even listed in the product
                  listing on Adobe's home page was a mistake.

--
                  Craig

"tculley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:go1upp$qmv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I tried doing that initially 6 mos. ago and have been pleading with Adobe
                  >to
                  > please fix this issue over & over. I have lots of projects and this has
                  > been
                  > killing me. I have already been developing mostly in flash now and
                  > package in
                  > director.
                  > Being able to write code natively in flash and use director's callback
                  > functions means i don't have to have dependant code in flash for some
                  > other
                  > packaging app. I drop my swfs in director, html, or anyother host and not
                  > worry about coding different versions of flash for different hosts or
                  > writing
                  > different classes to deal with the host environent.
                  > But not being able to support as3 and this title bug are two of my biggest
                  > issues.
                  >
                  > returning
                  > focus to my director app the title will be fixed when ALT-TABBING but not
                  > fixed
                  > on the bottom task bar, until the director app is minimized again or
                  > another
                  > window is opened it kills whatever baURL fixed.
                  >
                  > Todd
                  >

• 6. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                    Level 7

"tculley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:go1upp$qmv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I tried doing that initially 6 mos. ago and have been pleading with
                    >Adobe to

<snipped rant>

> returning
                    > focus to my director app the title will be fixed when ALT-TABBING
                    > but not fixed
                    > on the bottom task bar, until the director app is minimized again or
                    > another
                    > window is opened it kills whatever baURL fixed.
                    >

I do not understand what you write.
                    Are you saying you do use something like "baSetWindowTitle"? Or are
                    you saying you do NOT use it?

baURL? Or baOpenUrl? This will not fix anything I think.

Care to explain again?

R.

• 7. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                      tculley Level 1
                      i think faster than i type, sorry for any confusion. To clarify, over the years i have built a framework around projects that i create. my framework relies on spawning windows from director from the main app/director. For instance, i have standard exit window built in director, i have a video player built in director that launches as a separate window.

from DIR 7 - MX2004, under windows when you launch a projector.exe it will use the title of the exe as the title of the window. (i.e. "Nike Cross Trainer.exe" will be "Nike Cross Trainer" in the Apps Title, Task Bar or when you ALT-TAB). If a user want to exit, they click on the exit button and it launches the exit.dxr file which causes the application window to loose focus and the exit window to get focus. Now the activeWindow's title (exit window) will be displayed when ALT-TAB, but the Projector's title will still be displayed in the Task Bar. I create fullscreen projectors that can be minimized by the user.

Now in Dir 11 the title of the projector gets truncated to its first character as soon as you _player.appMinimize() or invoke another window (i.e. an exit.dxr). The activeWindow's title will show correctly when Alt-Tabbing but the projector's title in the Task Bar will be truncated. When the projector becomes the activeWindow if you Alt-Tab you will see the truncated title no matter how many times you set the title (i.e. on exitframe _movie.someWindow.title = myTitle).

however, when i use baOpenURL(someurl, somestate) and Alt-Tab to check the projector title when the browser is the activeWindow it is no longer truncated. If the projector is minimized or opens another window director truncates the title again. Also, if you check the projector's title at any point by using _movie.stage.title or _player.activeWindow.title director will return the full title name not truncated even though the TaskBar has a truncated title.

So, even using BuddyAPI's window functions Director will still truncate the title when you minimize or open a new window regardless of how many times you set it.

try this:
                      1. launch your projector.exe with _player.debugPlaybackEnabled = 1
                      In the degugger message window type the following:
                      2. myWinHandle = baWinHandle()
                      3. myStartTitle = baWindowInfo(myWinHandle, "title")
                      4. put myStartTitle
                      5. _player.appMinimize()
                      6. look at the title of your window in the task-bar (should be truncated)
                      7. myTitle = baWindowInfo(myWinHandle, "title")
                      8. put myTitle -- you will noticed it is not truncated.
                      9. launch a url using baOpenURL(someURL, "normal")
                      10. Alt-Tab through the window list and your projector title will not be truncated but will still be truncated in the task-bar
                      11. set the focus back to your project.exe and check the title again.
                      12. _player.appMinimize() title gets reset to truncated title in task-bar and alt-tabbing

Todd

• 8. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                        PeteKnee

Does anyone know of a work-around for this yet?  Or whether it has been fixed in 11.5?

• 9. Re: Director 11 Bug in Project
                          Chunick Level 3

PeteKnee wrote:

Does anyone know of a work-around for this yet?  Or whether it has been fixed in 11.5?

the title works fine for me in a minimized app after publishing from D11.5 on Vista Ultimate, 32-bit... it's hard to fork the money out for an upgrade, but I would upgrade to D11.5, if that's feasible.