11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 11:18 AM by typeb

Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop

typeb Level 1

hi,

I'm a filmmaker often working and editing in Africa (otherwise I'm based in the UK) so I work from a laptop as I'm moving around so much. I've been editing on Premiere CS6 for about 5 years on a Clevo/Sagar P170HM but am shooting a lot on 4k now and need to upgrade.  I originally followed Harm Millard's guide to setting up my OS (Windows), cache etc. on different drives but I was hoping someone might be able to advise re: configuring a new machine as the tech side isn't really a strong point. 

Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere but I've had a look around the forum and picked up some general points but I'm concerned about the bottlenecks specifically. The spec is based on a Clevo P670RS-G and I've opted for just about the top of all the options but from what I've been reading people are overclocking to 4.5GHz - is the processor fast enough? Also what use I should use the M.2 for, should I get a second one? Also read that M.2 shouldn't be used for assets, just OS so should I keep the 750GB for previews etc.?  I keep all footage on external USB3 hard drives so all internal drives would just be to keep things running fast.

Thanks for your help.

Toby

17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6820HK (2.7GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)

Overclocked CPU Overclock the Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK with speeds up to 3.7GHz

Memory (RAM) 64GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 16GB)

Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC

M.2 SSD 512GB Intel 600p NVMe PCIe (up to 1775MB/sR | 560MB/sW)

750GB WD BLACK 2.5" WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

• 1. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i think this would be more balanced:

i7-6820HK, 32gb ram, gtx 1060 6gb, m.2 samsung 850 evo 500gb, 1-2tb hdd

m.2 drives can be used for anything from os to assets. you can use the samsung 850 evo m.2 for os/apps/cache/projects/previews and the 1-2tb hdd for backups. you could also add a second 850 evo m.2 to have more space and split drive duties, or a single 950 pro if you want a faster single ssd. stick with samsung ssd's and stay away from the intel 600p, its no good.

the i7-6820hk can be overclocked a bit, but i wouldn't go over 3.8-4ghz and definitely not near 4.5ghz. how well it can overclock will depend on how the laptop is designed and how well it can keep the cpu and other internal components cool, and the ambient air temp.

• 2. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
            typeb Level 1

Thanks for your reply - looks like I might have overcooked things a bit!

The company doing the build doesn't offer the Evo 850 as a M.2 option but they have a Samsung 256GB PM961 and Kingston 480GB 2280 G2 (in 2 x separate M.2 slots) with Evo as a hard disk #1 option. TBH this means little to me and had only chosen the Intel as it had seemed the fastest at that size.  Are the M.2s worth it and if so would you get both (sizes are quite small?)?  Backups I run separately onto external USB3s so don't need to include this on the system.

Re: stripping some of the spec back, is this as they'd be no noticeable benefit or because of diminishing returns?

Thanks again,

Toby

• 3. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop

you can think of the kingston m.2 as an alternative to the 850 evo (both sata ssd), and the pm961 an alternative to the 950 pro (both pcie ssd). the m.2 sata ssd will perform similar to any 2.5" sata ssd, but the pcie ssd m.2 versions are around 3 times faster and also more expensive. you can get larger or multiple m.2 or sata ssd to fit whatever capacity or speed you think you will need for your specific projects... 

reviews of the intel 600p are showing it performing much much worse than its specs are rated for, and has lower endurance rating than most other drives too. i would expect to see them in off-the-shelf cheap laptops, but not in quality high-end custom laptops. i would loose some respect for any high-end laptop vendor that is including the intel 600p as an option.

yes, i think there would be very little to no benefits going above 32gb and gtx 1060 for premiere pro in that laptop. if you were planning on using other software that is more gpu based, then there might be some use for the gtx 1070.

• 4. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
                typeb Level 1

Nearly there I think and thanks again for your help with this!

So the only (non Intel) PCIe option on M.2 is as follows:  256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W).  I'd like to stick then with the Evo and an extra SSD (as below) as there will be times where all files are local.

Given that's the largest PCIE drive is 256GB, I guess the OS goes on there as it's going to be too small for other files?  So, M.2 as C: drive with Windows, Pagefile + programmes, D: drive with Evo and Media cache, cache and previews and E: drive with WD black with all

vids?

Thanks,

Toby

256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)

1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

1TB WD BLACK 2.5" WD10JPLX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

• 5. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop

there wont be much benefit for the pm961 just for os/pagefile/apps. you could switch to the kingston m.2 to save money or get a larger one for extra space.

even though the 1tb WD black is rated 7200rpm, it will likely be a fair amount slower than external 3.5" normal hdd's. depending on the bitrate of the media and timeline, it may be better to place the media/footage on the 1tb samsung ssd and use the m.2 for os/pagefile/apps/cache. depending on the size of the m.2 drive and types of previews, you could place previews on the m.2 or 1tb hdd.

• 6. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
                    typeb Level 1

that's great, thanks so much for your help

• 7. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
                      typeb Level 1

sorry, last question as starting to tie myself in knots now.  I found from the link underneath that lists typical data transfer rates for each drive while editing and realised that none of the options available from my supplier were going to meet what I needed (i.e. a 1TB drive with 2228MB/sec read speed) .  I just rang them to talk this through and they said they have another drive on order that hasn't landed yet which is the 1TB - Samsung PM961 M.2 Pcie MVME (read up to 3000MB, write 1700MB) which they can attach to the M.2. slot.  Does this changes things?  Am I right in thinking that instead I should configure as follows:

C: Samsung 750 2.5" SATA 500GB [850 not offered in 500 but 250 is if better] (540/520)  boot and PP

D: Samsung 2280 SSDNOW 480Gb (550/520) - second M.2 slot - Cache and Preview

E: Samsung 1TB PM961 M.2 Pcie MVME - first M.2. slot - Media Assets & Project Files

Sorry in advance if I've misunderstood your advice.

Thanks again,

Toby

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/storage-drives-for-video-editing

• 8. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop

if you need that kind of speed to read/edit your media files that setup looks ok. that raises another question, how are you going to get that speed over usb3 hdd's?

• 9. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
                          typeb Level 1

I've realised through this dialogue that from here on in I'll need to edit with everything on internal drives and just back up to the external drives once I'm done. Thank you so much for your help - I would definitely have ordered something less suitable without your assistance.

• 10. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop

are you going to be able to fit everything on a 1tb ssd? another options is making proxies of the media to have everything available on the laptop and keep the originals on the hdd's.

• 11. Re: Components decisions for Sagar/Clevo 4K editing laptop
                              typeb Level 1

Average project is about 500GB so should be fine but good suggestion about proxies