7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 12:23 PM by Alek Davis

Should I use a new catalog for videos?

Alek Davis Level 1

I'm planning to start using Lightroom (v5 for now) for my home videos. Would it make sense to use the same catalog as my photos, or would it be better if I created and kept a separate catalog for videos? Are there any recommendations (I couldn't fine any)? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi AlekDavis,

If you have good numbers of images added in one catalog like 10 or 20K, then you can create a separate catalog for home videos.

It will make things easy for you to find any specific video and keep the catalog size compact.

Thanks,

Mohit

• 2. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
            F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I always suggest to use only one catalog, even if you have 100k+ photos and videos.

• 3. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
              dj_paige Level 9

Mohit Goyal wrote:

Hi AlekDavis,

If you have good numbers of images added in one catalog like 10 or 20K, then you can create a separate catalog for home videos.

It will make things easy for you to find any specific video and keep the catalog size compact.

I disagree with this 100%

VIdeos are easily found in extremely large  catalogs using the Filter Bar or smart collections. This advice uses the features of Lightroom, while splitting the catalogs avoids using the features of Lightroom. Avoiding the features of Lightroom is not something I can recommend.

There is no reason and significant disadvantages to using multiple catalogs. People have catalogs with 600K images that are running fine.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
                Alek Davis Level 1

Thank you all for the feedback, but I'm not sure who to listen to. :-)

I don't quite understand the part about using or not using Lightroom features that @dj_paige mentioned. From the use perspective, I don't really care for both photos and videos being in the same catalog. I don't mind either way (using one or two catalogs).

The major concern for me would be over performance: would a single catalog (say, I have 200K images and 50K videos) cause performance issues, like backing it up (I read some people complaining about taking to long to back up a huge catalog to a network share or cloud, but don't know if it's still an issue), or would it take too long to open, or cause some other problems. If there are any concerns about potential problems, the answer for me is clear (I'd use two catalogs), but if they are not a problem, then there is still a question what benefits would using a single catalog offer. One benefit of using two catalogs would be less items in the library, so potentially easier navigation. But there may be benefits that I don't see. I couldn't find any articles or videos covering this aspect (catalog selection for managing photos and videos), so I'd really appreciate some insights or a reference if it was already covered before.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
                  dj_paige Level 9

The major concern for me would be over performance: would a single catalog (say, I have 200K images and 50K videos) cause performance issues, like backing it up (I read some people complaining about taking to long to back up a huge catalog to a network share or cloud, but don't know if it's still an issue), or would it take too long to open, or cause some other problems.

The only place where large catalogs are slow is making backups, and you can always do something else while this is happening. Otherwise, large catalogs do not affect performance of Lightroom, and are not slow in opening.

One benefit of using two catalogs would be less items in the library, so potentially easier navigation.

This is what I was trying to point out above. It is NOT harder to find videos (or photos) in a larger catalog. It is harder to find things when they are split over two (or more) catalogs. The search tools in Lightroom make finding photos and videos in a large catalog relatively simple, provided you have some basic organization.

In your particular case where you want to find videos (not photos), this is an extremely simple thing to do in one catalog, and it's not made more difficult because the catalog is large. It would actually take you longer to switch from the catalog with the photos and not videos, to the catalog with videos and no photos.

Just one example of how one catalog is superior to two (although this may or may not apply to you, I don't know). Suppose you want to call up all photos and videos from your daughter's birthday party. If they are in two catalogs, you can't do this, you cannot use Lightroom's search tools to find items in a different catalog. If everything is in one catalog, then one search gets you everything. But that's one example, even if it doesn't apply to you, there are many others that probably do apply to you, and there are many advantages to a single catalog and many disadvantages to using two or more catalogs.

The whole point is if you are going to use Lightroom to organize and search (are you planning to do that?) then one catalog is vastly superior to two (or more) catalogs. If you use multiple catalogs, you are breaking up the organization into parts, effectively destroying the usefulness of the search tools and destroying the entire reason to use a catalog.

• 6. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
                    Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because performance and catalog size are not directly related, that shouldn't affect the decision. I use one main catalog, only creating other catalogs for specialized projects or when one client's work needs to be separated from other work. The primary reason I mix photos and videos is similar to what dj_paige said: If I shoot both photos and videos at an event, I usually want to tell the story using both the photos and the videos, so I want to cull, organize, and sequence the photos and videos together.

I avoid creating additional catalogs because maintaining them creates complications beyond those dj_paige talked about. For example, you can sync only one catalog to Lightroom Mobile, so if I want to work with my Lightroom collections on my mobile devices, those images had better be in the same catalog.

• 7. Re: Should I use a new catalog for videos?
                      Alek Davis Level 1

Thanks a lot, Conrad C, dj_paige. Good info.