10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 10:52 AM by trshaner

Edits won't be saved in JPEG files

lindaw75459017 Level 1

Hey,

I've been looking for a solution for this problem for several hours now and I still don't have a clue.

I want to export my images from Lightroom in JPEG, but every time I try to the edits or adjustments I've applied will vanish. I do not choose "original" in my export dialog but "JPEG". However, when I choose TIFF it will work, all the edits can be seen when I later open it in my Windows photo viewer. I already tried exporting the file to photoshop as a JPEG. All the adjustments can be seen there, but whenever I want to save the image as JPEG it will show as the original or some odd colors. I tried it with either using sRGB or Pro Photo RGB settings and neither does work. The weird thing is: When I open the image in Google Chrome the adjustments will show and it will look the same as in Lightroom. But when I then upload the image to my website (using Chrome) it will be the original or some version with odd colors again. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Do you know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

Linda

• 1. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
          dj_paige Level 9

Show us a screen capture of the photo as it appears in Lightroom, and then another screen capture of the exported photo that doesn't look right.

State the exact version NUMBER of Lightroom you are using. Go to Help->System Info and report the version NUMBER of Lightroom that is shown there. Do not use words like "up-to-date" or "most recent" version.

State your exact operating system.

State the name of the software that opens the photos and the photo doesn't display properly.

• 2. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
            lindaw75459017 Level 1

Ok, so I now figured that it must be a browser/software problem. When I view my new page including the image with Chrome or Firefox it looks the same as in Lightroom, even though it looks like the original in my wordpress Editor (weird). On the other hand, when I open the page with Microsoft Edge I don't see the adjustments. Also with the Windows Photo Viewer.

Lightroom version number: CC 2015.7

Operating system: Windows 10

In Lightroom:

Exported Image:

Chrome (published post):

In Wordpress Editor (Chrome, before publishing):

• 3. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
              lindaw75459017 Level 1

Now I'm getting even more confused. I'm using Chrome. When I add the image as the main image for the post (at the top) it will show as in Lightroom. When I add the same image to the text area (bottom picture) it will look like the original, unedited version. See below.

• 4. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may have more than one issue so let's do some investigation. What model monitor are you using and is it calibrated with a Spyder,  i1, or other display calibrator? When you look at the original edited image inside LR does it look different in the Library module compared to the Develop module preview? If so try disabling the GPU in LR Preferences as shown below:

• 5. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
                  lindaw75459017 Level 1

I'm using a Lenovo Z560 notebook. I've never calibrated my monitor manually.

The image doesn't look different in the library module compared to the develop module. So I guess I can leave the GPU enabled?

I, too, think, that the wordpress thing is another issue as I've figured that all my Microsoft programs (Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft Edge (IE)) have problems with displaying images correctly. I also found out that it happens with other images that are not my own (on other websites, which are probably also edited with Lightroom). Chrome, Firefox and Safari are all fine.

But I still wouldn't get why Chrome, Firefox and Safari won't show the same image, on time as the main post image, on time enbedded in the text area, with the same edits/adjustments.

Thank you for your answers so far.

• 6. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
                    dj_paige Level 9

But I still wouldn't get why Chrome, Firefox and Safari won't show the same image, on time as the main post image, on time enbedded in the text area, with the same edits/adjustments.

Sounds like a setting in WordPress somewhere

• 7. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
                      lindaw75459017 Level 1

Yes, I now solved the problem. Wordpress downsizes the original image. However, if you fix the image size in the Export dialog and choose "original size" in the WordPress Editor it will remain edited (otherwise it immediately switches to the unedited version - magic...).

• 8. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files

We've seen numerous reports of similar issues where Windows 10 has assigned an incompatible monitor profile to the display. Try the procedure at the below link to assign the sRGB color profile to your laptop's display. Check the JPEG Export image file again both inside LR and inside Windows Photo Viewer. If you are Exporting JPEGs with 'Color Space' set to sRGB they should look identical in both. If not I suggest Exporting the original file with your adjustments to DNG file format (see below) and then posting the DNG file and JPEG export file to Dropbox or other file sharing site. Place the Share links in a reply here so we can check them on our systems.

As I mentioned you may have two issue–Let's look at the Web based issue separately after running the above test.

How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? - The Lightroom Queen

• 9. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files
                          lindaw75459017 Level 1

I did assign the sRGB color profile to my display as described in the link. But now I'm even more confused because now the Lightroom editing adapted to the jpeg design! The images don't look edited at all anymore in Lightroom itself. On the other hand, they still look edited in Chrome/Wordpress.

I don't know why this all happens, but I'm going to re-edit my images now and hope that they will then all look the same.

For now my first newly edited and exported jpeg looks exactly the same as in Lightroom, so I think the issue is solved. Thanks a lot!

• 10. Re: Edits won't be saved in JPEG files

Glad to here that helped. LR is very picky about the monitor profile type. It appears the Windows 10 upgrade hijacks the monitor profile and replaces it with a profile that is incompatible with LR. Your laptop has a standard gamut display that is probably pretty close to sRGB gamut. This means you are now seeing correct image rendering in LR, which matches the other apps that worked fine with the previous monitor profile. The downside is that you'll have to go back and re-edit images that were adjusted with the incompatible monitor profile. That would most likely be images you edited after upgrading to Windows 10.

A better solution is to purchase a monitor calibrator and adjust your display for 6500 K Color Temperature, 100-120 cd/m2 Luminance and 2.2 Gamma. Monitor calibration is most helpful when creating prints, but for Web posted images you're probably OK just using the sRGB profile.

Why are my prints too dark